Video driver compatibility

Moosenose

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have a question about compatibility of video cards. Currently I have 4 monitors running on 2 video cards: PNY Ge Force 9800 GTX and EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2. (Mobo has only 2 pcie x16 slots) I'm wanting to add 2 more monitors and have been looking to replace 1 card with a new one that has 4 dvi outs. Nvida offers few choices and are too pricey, so I've been looking at ATI (Radeon HD4850x2 or Fire MV2400). If I add an ATI card, will I have driver problems with the remaining Nvidia card?

No gaming, just futures trader wanting more charts. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Yes, I don't think it's good to run an Nvidia driver card with an ATI driver card on one computer...

And don't get the 4850x2, it's buggy. Never heard of the MV2400...probably because it's also crap.

Consider the 4870x2

Moosenose

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm running XP Pro on Abit IX 38 Quad GT mobo, 4 mb ram. Most brokerages shy away from Vista (causes platforms to hang too much). Waiting for microsoft to release 7.

The reason I ask is that XP can use two different video drivers while Vista cannot (Win7 can do 2 as well, I think). You may be able to pull this off, but wait for more knowledgeable people than me on this to confirm.