Video Driver crashed, now Windows doesn't boot completely

Jun 30, 2018
Windows 7 64gb
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 760
Memory: like 32 or something

Was playing a game when the video driver crashed, but recovered. This froze a video window (Media Player Classic), but otherwise everything was fine. Restarted the game and the video driver crashed again immediately upon the program opening, but did not recover. Computer still running in the background just fine (sounds playing from another window).

Rebooted and noticed strange pink / magenta dots in only the text of the BIOS startup scrawl. On the next startup screen, entire letters of words were in magenta. Windows did its little spinny animation, got to the log-in, got past that, and upon opening the same game again the video driver hard-crashed once more and did not recover.

Rebooted again, same pink dots, but now different words on the second screen had entire letters in pink. Computer continues to boot, gets past the spinning Windows loading animation, but the system crashed just before the log-in screen appeared. Rebooted again to the same result.

I am currently running the system in Safe Mode with Networking. Everything else seems to be functional; no POST beeps or obvious problems looking under the hood.

My immediate assumption is this may be some kind of graphics card failure (it's soft crashed on occasion before, sometimes more often, just a few times lately until this) but I'm curious as to how that would impact the color of start-up text or if that's a sign of a deeper problem. If the card's dead, I'm also not sure how I'm getting a functioning display in Safe Mode right now. Is it possible it's just on its last legs, and could that cause text in DOS / BIOS to be weirdly colored even when Windows in Safe Mode looks fine?

If I had a spare graphics card I'd try swapping that in, but no luck there. This is a computer of considerable age (the CPU and motherboard are ~10 years old, but the GPU, PSU, and RAM have been kept current) so I'm also not sure if that has anything to do with it. There were no hardware / software / driver updates prior to this spate of crashing, either.