Question GPU driver crashes with some games ?

Link0702

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
Hello everyone!

So, there is something weird happening that seems to have gotten even worse since I got my new CPU, I used to have an Ryzen 3 3100, I recently bought the Ryzen 5 5600 and had to upgrade my BIOS, everything looked to be fine, but when I play some games, the gpu driver seems to crash; usually after 1-3 hours of usage, the main screen where the game is is filled with a color, and both of my monitors blink, the game closes and anything else that I was using usually crashes, i.e, If I am watching a stream on twitch it stops, if I am the one streaming OBS has an Encoder Error and I have to restart, and so on.

This used to happen with certain games but not all of them, it might be a coincidence that it started to happen more often with the new games I am currently playing, I have also attempted a few things already: Reinstalling drivers, check temperatures to be sure it is not overheating (highest I got for both the GPU and CPU was 87°), used /sfc scannow , I already cleaned all the dust on my pc when I installed the New CPU (about a week ago), and made some tests with and without afterburner making sure that my Gpu is not overclocked, nvidia's control panel is set to be optimized for performance under power settings, and checked power settings overall.

Few ideas I am left to try: reinstall windows completely, change the thermal paste on my gpu, or try my gpu with another computer which I can not do currently.

One thing to note: the main game where this does not happen is using Vulkan instead of Direct 3D, not sure if that has to do with anything though.

In any case, thank you for reading and I appreciate any help! with how expensive the graphic cards are I wish it is not the issue. anyway, here are my specs and have a great day!

*Motherboard Asus Prime A520 M-K
*Processor: Ryzen 5 5600
*Gpu Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti
*2 x 8gb RAM
*PSU: Corsair CV650

Link0702

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
reinstalling windows could be what you need after swapping CPU

it could be your PSU as well.

Thank you for the response, and sorry for the late reply, I backed up important files and reinstalled windows from scratch, and I also re applied thermal paste on my gpu, sadly the issue is still there, and my PSU should still be working properly as I have not used it for more than 3 years and it was brand new, I also bought it knowing I would eventually upgrade so I know it still has enough power, if you or anyone else have any other idea I will be happy to know, thank you.