If I download the most recent graphics driver for my computer and install
it, should I uninstall the graphics driver that is already on the computer
first? Or just simply run the installation setup file for the new one? I
need to do this on a Gateway laptop, that uses ATI 7500 graphics. thanks,
Kevin

For any "advanced" video card drivers, the ones you download from the
manufacturer/chipset maker, it is always recommended to un-install the
previous ones. Also, it is suggested to also run Driver Cleaner Pro after
run-installing the drivers. This is so to clear out left-over files/setting
from the older drivers. Then, install the newers video card drivers.

"Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> If I download the most recent graphics driver for my computer and install
> it, should I uninstall the graphics driver that is already on the computer
> first? Or just simply run the installation setup file for the new one? I
> need to do this on a Gateway laptop, that uses ATI 7500 graphics. thanks,
> Kevin

Thanks for your response. The original Gateway driver for the ATI Radeon
7500 came from the Gateway system restore driver disk. After I install it,
there is an ATI icon in the system tray. The problem with the system restore
driver, is when the computer goes comes out of standby, the screen is always
totally messed up. The latest driver fixes this problem, but if I unistall
the original driver, and install only the lates driver from Gateway, there
is no ATI icon in the system tray with settings options etc. So I am
wondering if I should just install the update from Gateway on top of the old
driver installation. thanks, Kevin

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> For any "advanced" video card drivers, the ones you download from the
> manufacturer/chipset maker, it is always recommended to un-install the
> previous ones. Also, it is suggested to also run Driver Cleaner Pro after
> run-installing the drivers. This is so to clear out left-over
> files/setting from the older drivers. Then, install the newers video card
> drivers.
>

> "Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> If I download the most recent graphics driver for my computer and install
>> it, should I uninstall the graphics driver that is already on the
>> computer first? Or just simply run the installation setup file for the
>> new one? I need to do this on a Gateway laptop, that uses ATI 7500
>> graphics. thanks, Kevin

It is up to the individual product to telll you whether or not it is
necessary to uninstall previous versions. If there are no such
instructions, then it is probably safer to uninstall first.

The ATI systray icon is typically controlled by a clickable option from
within one of the ATI properties screens. All you have to do is find it
:)

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.

> Thanks for your response. The original Gateway driver for the ATI Radeon
> 7500 came from the Gateway system restore driver disk. After I install it,
> there is an ATI icon in the system tray. The problem with the system
restore
> driver, is when the computer goes comes out of standby, the screen is
always
> totally messed up. The latest driver fixes this problem, but if I unistall
> the original driver, and install only the lates driver from Gateway, there
> is no ATI icon in the system tray with settings options etc. So I am
> wondering if I should just install the update from Gateway on top of the
old
> driver installation. thanks, Kevin
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > For any "advanced" video card drivers, the ones you download from the
> > manufacturer/chipset maker, it is always recommended to un-install the
> > previous ones. Also, it is suggested to also run Driver Cleaner Pro
after
> > run-installing the drivers. This is so to clear out left-over
> > files/setting from the older drivers. Then, install the newers video
card
> > drivers.
> >

> > "Kevin" <jkevn@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> If I download the most recent graphics driver for my computer and
install
> >> it, should I uninstall the graphics driver that is already on the
> >> computer first? Or just simply run the installation setup file for the
> >> new one? I need to do this on a Gateway laptop, that uses ATI 7500
> >> graphics. thanks, Kevin

Regarding ATI, they provide the driver and a menu driven application for
examining and changing ATI card assets. Most people don't need the latter
except heavy gamers. Most commonly altered stuff people change is in XPs
display properties which works just the same. The same ATI thing can be
opened from the desktop in the programs section.

I prefer to not have the ATI in the system tray, just wastes memory in my
opinion. The drive is what is important if it fixes or improves something
on your system.