Question Video editing build - What should i upgrade?

Brammieboy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2017
2 years ago i build a pc, and now i mainly use it to edit video's (sometimes a bit of gaming). But i would like my pc to be a bit faster, as it is holding me back in the editing (especially projects with a lot of effects/grading or 4K, i can't even scrub trough the timeline on a 1/4th resolution).
What should i upgrade? I recently upgraded my RAM from 16 to 24gb, but it didn't seem to make a big difference. Render times don't really matter to me, it's just the editing itself.

specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 3,0 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 3x HyperX 8 GB DDR4-2666
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2,5 inch SSD

Thx!

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I wouldn't reccomend using 24 GB of ram. You lose dual channel performance. Upgrading your GPU is probably the best choice for premiere. Upgrading to a 2060 or even 2070 would probably be a good idea. Your CPU is a bit weak but it shouldnt affect timeline performance.

Video editing is typically CPU intensive, so a second gen Ryzen 7 would be a great addition. That is probably going to see the best performance increase. As said above, however, a GPU upgrade may also be good. Personally I'd upgrade the CPU first though.

What is your motherboard? If it is a decent higher end x370 motherboard, then you could upgrade to Ryzen 7 2000 series now, or perhaps wait until early july and get a Ryzen 3000 series processor. Also using the 3 sticks of RAM would impact your R7-1700 performance due to losing dual channel performance. Don't think upgrading video card matters unless you happen to have money lying around. CPU is more important, especially if your problem is just the editing/timeline scrubbing.