HBabstractions

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Hi All,

I think it is time for a new pc for adobe premiere pro/after effects CC. (Current rig is i7-2600 with adobe cs5.5)
I was using the builder at Microcenter's website. I was hoping i could get feedback from people here who know much more than me.
I want to keep it around 1,100ish.

I'm looking for your advice and feedback: if you genuinely recommend a better tier of SSD for the boot, different RAM speed, PSU wattage, etc.

Info:
  • GOAL:
    • I bought a 4k camera, but for now i still plan on rendering at 1080p 60 fps.
      However, i want it strong enough to edit/render 4k when needed in the future because i want to start a career in video editing.
  • HARDDRIVES:
    • I want 1 HD for windows only, that is what the 500 SDD is for. I plan on installing ALL programs on other SSDs.
      I know m2 are the fastest, but i'm using an ssd for my current pc and it is a fast enough boot up for me for wayyyy cheaper.

• Ideally i'd like, one SSD for gaming/ documents/ misc programs. (500gb)

• Another SSD solely for Video Editing/Adobe suite, and Recording music. (1tb)
      The SSD configuration on this list isn't set in stone, considering black friday deals are up already, i am keeping my eyes open for deals.
      I prefer WD/Samsung over other brands, just because i've had them in the past and have been reliable. I'd rather spend top dollar for a reliable brand, than save 40 dollars for a seagate or something.
      But if there are other brands that are as reliable as WD/Samsung, i'd like to know.
  • GPU: I have a gtx 1070 i plan on putting in that i already own.

• COOLING: I don't know anything about water cooling, is it even necessary for this build? I DO NOT plan on over clocking.

• RAM: I know i want 32gb but i don't know much about the technical specs, brand reputation, speed usefulness...
Build:

MicroCenter List

CPU: i7-10700k - $219

MOBO: Gigabyte B560 AORUS Pro AX - $219

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32bg DDR4-3600 PC4 28800 - $117

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 GT 80 Plus Fully Modular - $119

BOOT DRIVE: WD Blue 500 GB - $54

SSD: Samsung 980 ssd 1tb m.2 (everything except windows) - $119

THERMAL PASTE: IC Diamon 7 Carat Thermal Compound - $7

COOLING: NZXT Kraken m22 120mm Water Cooling - $84

CASE: NZXT H510 Tempered Glass - $74

Windows 10 usb - $139

TOTAL: $1,159.90

Last edited:
Solution
Hi All,

I think it is time for a new pc for adobe premiere pro/after effects CC. (Current rig is 17-2600 with adobe cs5.5)
I was using the builder at Microcenter's website. I was hoping i could get feedback from people here who know much more than me.

I'm looking for your advice and feedback: if you genuinely recommend a better tier of SSD for the boot, different RAM speed, PSU wattage, etc.

Info:
  • GOAL:
      However, i want it strong enough to edit/render 4k when needed in the future because i want to start a career in video editing.
  • HARDDRIVES:
    • I want 1...
Hi All,

I think it is time for a new pc for adobe premiere pro/after effects CC. (Current rig is 17-2600 with adobe cs5.5)

Info:
  • GOAL:
  • HARDDRIVES:
    • I want 1 HD for windows only, that is what the 500 SDD is for. I plan on installing ALL programs on other SSDs.
      I know m2 are the fastest, but i'm using an ssd for my current pc and it is a fast enough boot up for me for wayyyy cheaper.

• Ideally i'd like, one SSD for gaming/ documents/ misc programs. (500gb)

• Another SSD solely for Video Editing/Adobe suite, and Recording music. (1tb)
      The SSD configuration on this list isn't set in stone, considering black friday deals are up already, i am keeping my eyes open for deals.
      I prefer WD/Samsung over other brands, just because i've had them in the past and have been reliable. I'd rather spend top dollar for a reliable brand, than save 40 dollars for a seagate or something.
      But if there are other brands that are as reliable as WD/Samsung, i'd like to know.
  • GPU: I have a gtx 1070 i plan on putting in that i already own.

• COOLING: I don't know anything about water cooling, is it even necessary for this build? I DO NOT plan on over clocking.

• RAM: I know i want 32gb but i don't know much about the technical specs, brand reputation, speed usefulness...
Build:

MicroCenter List

CPU: i7-10700k - $219

MOBO: Gigabyte B560 AORUS Pro AX - $219

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32bg DDR4-3600 PC4 28800 - $117

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 GT 80 Plus Fully Modular - $119

BOOT DRIVE: WD Blue 500 GB - $54

SSD: Samsung 980 ssd 1tb m.2 (everything except windows) - $119

THERMAL PASTE: IC Diamon 7 Carat Thermal Compound - $7

COOLING: NZXT Kraken m22 120mm Water Cooling - $84

CASE: NZXT H510 Tempered Glass - $74

Windows 10 usb - $139

TOTAL: $1,159.90
More PCIe lanes (20 vs 12 for the B560 chipset), better audio codec and it's cheaper.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...uf-gaming-wifi-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard
ASUS H570-PRO TUF Gaming WiFi 189.99 Save $20 when bundled with a compatible eligible processor

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=196645,196613

Solution

HBabstractions

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
I would install your applications on the OS drive.

Use the 1TB for all your projects.

What are the cons to installing all your programs on a separate drive than the boot drive?

I only want to do this because I've run out of space on my boot drive on my current PC. After moving all my project files and program file directories to a new SSD, i still only have 5gb free on the boot drive.

Since I plan on using this PC for years, i don't want to find myself in the same situation 7 years down the road with a filled up boot drive mixed in with programs and their plugins, updates, etc. So i thought to avoid this on my new pc, i'll just to have a boot drive and ONLY install windows on it so i don't get confused.

That 120mm water cooler is going to perform worse than an air cooler, of a similar cost. You can also get a 240mm, for the price of that 120mm. You can get a 500gb Samsung 980, for like $5 more than that slow sata drive. I would say it is well worth it.

Thank you, i have switched the wd blue SSD to the m.2 samsung 980 on my microcenter build. Appreciate it!

So i looked and the "Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 240mm Water Cooling" was $85. Then i saw the "Corsair - iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm Water Cooling Kit "
for $120. How are the reputation of the Cooler Masters? I don't want to go cheap and have the water leak and fry my stuff so this is one thing i'd be willing to pay more on... IF this pc even needs a water cooler.

More PCIe lanes (20 vs 12 for the B560 chipset), better audio codec and it's cheaper.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...uf-gaming-wifi-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard
ASUS H570-PRO TUF Gaming WiFi 189.99 Save $20 when bundled with a compatible eligible processor

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=196645,196613

Awesome! I updated the mobo on my personal list. Thank you for the links, i appreciate it very much!

Please get a G2 or G3 EVGA PSU instead. Also a Seasonic GX focus gold. They should be around 110-120 dollars. The PSU you got is expensive for what it is, and can get a much better one like the formerly mentioned.

Only the EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply came up on microcenter, for the same price as the 750. So is the G3 just made of better parts or something to justify the same price for less power? I don't really know much about PSUs, so don't know how many watts i need for the cpu, a gtx 1070, 32gb ram, and a water cooler.

They had the Seasonic usa gold gx-750 for $130 that looks verrrry fancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

USAFRet

Titan
What are the cons to installing all your programs on a separate drive than the boot drive?

I only want to do this because I've run out of space on my boot drive on my current PC. After moving all my project files and program file directories to a new SSD, i still only have 5gb free on the boot drive.

Since I plan on using this PC for years, i don't want to find myself in the same situation 7 years down the road with a filled up boot drive mixed in with programs and their plugins, updates, etc. So i thought to avoid this on my new pc, i'll just to have a boot drive and ONLY install windows on it so i don't get confused.
What else is on the boot drive? What size is it?

A 500GB drive can take the OS and ALL your applications, without breathing hard.
Applications don't take a lot of space.
Even something like the entire Office 2019 suite is only about 3.5GB.

The things you create DO take a lot of space.
A single medium quality .avi can consume 2GB for 15 minutes.

A major con is that in the event of an OS reinstall, you need to reinstall your applications anyway.
If they are mixed in with your project files on the larger second drive, this complicates things.

My boot drive is a 500GB 850 EVO.
OS and ALL applications. CAD, imaging, video, everything associated with the 3D printer, MS VisualStudio, etc, etc.
Currently, there is about 300GB consumed space.

All my project files live on other drives.
CAD here, video there, photo elsewhere...

HBabstractions

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
What else is on the boot drive? What size is it?

A 500GB drive can take the OS and ALL your applications, without breathing hard.
Applications don't take a lot of space.
Even something like the entire Office 2019 suite is only about 3.5GB.

The things you create DO take a lot of space.
A single medium quality .avi can consume 2GB for 15 minutes.

A major con is that in the event of an OS reinstall, you need to reinstall your applications anyway.
If they are mixed in with your project files on the larger second drive, this complicates things.

My boot drive is a 500GB 850 EVO.
OS and ALL applications. CAD, imaging, video, everything associated with the 3D printer, MS VisualStudio, etc, etc.
Currently, there is about 300GB consumed space.

All my project files live on other drives.
CAD here, video there, photo elsewhere...

Nothing, but i just checked and its a 250gb ssd. So maybe thats why.

Just windows, Adobe Premiere/after effects, photoshop cs5.5, ableton, anti virus. The my documents/photos/videos, etc folders are empty on that drive.
All of my files and documents, project files, video files, etc, are all on other drives. I think steam might be installed on there as well, but all the games and the directory is on another ssd.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Nothing, but i just checked and its a 250gb ssd. So maybe thats why.

Just windows, Adobe Premiere/after effects, photoshop cs5.5, ableton, anti virus. The my documents/photos/videos, etc folders are empty on that drive.
All of my files and documents, project files, video files, etc, are all on other drives.
Given that, there should still be plenty of free space.
Your applications don't consume that much. I use many of the same or similar.

System Restore Points, pagefile, hibernation, etc....
Those things you may not see, but can consume a LOT.

Reactions: HBabstractions
Only the EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply came up on microcenter, for the same price as the 750. So is the G3 just made of better parts or something to justify the same price for less power? I don't really know much about PSUs, so don't know how many watts i need for the cpu, a gtx 1070, 32gb ram, and a water cooler.

They had the Seasonic usa gold gx-750 for $130 that looks verrrry fancy.
The G3 is just better made, longer warranty, and you don't need 750 watts. The Seasonic is also a very good PSU with a long warranty.

HBabstractions

Prominent
Apr 8, 2020
Given that, there should still be plenty of free space.
Your applications don't consume that much. I use many of the same or similar.

I'll take your advice, from earlier.
I ended up buying a m.2 Gen4 pcie 1TB for my boot drive so i'll just install windows and the adobe CC suite on there.

Can i ask you some questions about storage and configurations?

Do you know how programs work in terms of install location and media/project-folder locations?
Does it matter if I install programs on the Boot Drive, and then set literally everything else (the cache/scratch/project folder/videoclips/exports,etc.) to a secondary drive?

I'm curious if there is a performance difference between a project and its' assets being on the same drive or on separate drive.

If i only am using one m.2 drive for the Boot, do i have to look into Raid configurations when setting up my PC? I've heard the term Raid and i have in impression its some premium feature.
i7-11700k, z590 Elite AX mobo.

USAFRet

Titan
Do you know how programs work in terms of install location and media/project-folder locations?
Does it matter if I install programs on the Boot Drive, and then set literally everything else (the cache/scratch/project folder/videoclips/exports,etc.) to a secondary drive?
Windows and applications have gotten really good at managing multiple drives and partitions.

In my system, the C drive is OS and applications.
The other drives, each has a main purpose.

CAD projects for the 3D printer
video
photo work
games
a small 250GB for scratch space for all the above applications.

No performance difference either way, but makes things MUCH easier in the event of an OS reinstall. Your project and personal files are not touched at all.

Or, if I want to change/upsize one of them. Getting ready to change the CAD project drive from a 250GB to a 1TB. Copy/paste, out with the old, in with the new. The new drive will be given the same drive letter as the old one, and Windows will never know the difference.