Video Editing Hardware: What You’ll Need To Get Started

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandDeschain

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Yeah, I did. I'm mainly referring to the fact that people glancing at the article come to the Mac-only conclusion because that's what's in their face due to the Apple system advertising you have showing at the bottom of the first page. See what I'm referring to in this screenshot: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RSSSORbeR0Q/VPdI11Q_rtI/AAAAAAAAJos/3vYuChuCJpk/w673-h380-no/apple_ad.png

I'd highly recommend reading up on the psychology of the influence that article headlines have on people regardless of what the text of the article actually says. Yes, I know this isn't the "headline", but it's highly noticeable advertising for Macs specifically and only that catches the eye, and considering the nature of the article, I'm guessing you understand what I mean.

Reading on the "headline effect": http://websites.psychology.uwa.edu.au/labs/cogscience/Publications/Ecker.2014IP.JEPA.pdf

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3037742/evidence/misleading-headlines-can-leave-lasting-impressions-even-if-you-read-the-article

In short, I guess what I'm saying is, get rid of the Mac advertising seen in the screenshot, even though I'm assuming that it's automatically showing and not manually placed there based on the content of the article. :)

RolandDeschain

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
To get my point across in a more succinct way, what do you think if you go to a news article somewhere on the web that is discussing the merits of a random conservative ideal compared to the liberal version of that ideal, but there's pointed advertising specifically for only one of those two ideals on the article? Whether the conclusion of the article or the merits of it are bias-free is almost irrelevant, since most people are going to assume bias because of that advertising even if they don't overtly think about it. :)

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

I did notice Windows was the only category with a super high end build. Quick question: As far as the FirePro vs. Quadro situation on windows, I noticed you listed the Windows build as preferring the Quadro cards. Tests in review articles on this site showed Firepro cards consistently outperforming the Quadro cards, sometimes matching the Quadro card a full price point above (Which can be $100's or even ~$1000 more). Are there optimization, compatibility or features that caused you to recommend the Quadro specifically over the FIrepro? Thanks

Lord Darren

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
To get my point across in a more succinct way, what do you think if you go to a news article somewhere on the web that is discussing the merits of a random conservative ideal compared to the liberal version of that ideal, but there's pointed advertising specifically for only one of those two ideals on the article? Whether the conclusion of the article or the merits of it are bias-free is almost irrelevant, since most people are going to assume bias because of that advertising even if they don't overtly think about it. :)

I honestly didn't even notice the subliminal messaging. Of course I approached this article with the assumption of heavy Mac bias, as most video enthusiasts you come across on the internet are, and was pleasantly surprised to find what I would consider as unbiased an op-ed to be.

That said; for all intents and purposes, I will likely always be a PC user as most DIY folk are. I've tried a couple of Apple products and they are inherently stylish; it's mostly the toxicity, the pretentiousness, of the community that has cemented this distance between me and the brand.

On one side you have the elitists and on the other side are people trying to up their status in society by owning what is considered leet, cool, but have no real understanding of or appreciation for the device. Usually a Luddite desperately clinging on to their ever receding cool which lends an additional mask of ignorance to the community atop the elitism.

So props to the author here for covering both bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.