Question Video editing HDD RAID configurations for multiple large projects?

adamdiller

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Hi everyone, I produce and edit video and have a large amount of archived and active projects spread out over a bunch of HDDs. (each backed up twice)

My current project is a little over 6TB, my last project around the same, these and a few others get rotated in and out now and then for various reasons.

Currently each project is spread out over one or more HDDs, which works, but is SLOW (loading times in Premiere are bad), and seems inefficient in the sense that a lot of my BU drives have barely been run.

My motherboard is able to support RAID and I have physical space in my case for that option, but I've delayed setting it up because I wasn't convinced that it made sense.

Thoughts?

Ideally I'm looking for suggestions that reconfigure my existing set of drives rather than buying more stuff (what I'm trying to avoid)

I'm confused how to evaluate the stability of a RAID array? As in, would you advise RAID + 2 backups or RAID + 1 backup? I know this depends on which type of RAID, but assuming something like 5 or 6?

FWIW, I have (14) 2TB drives, (2) 4TB, (2) 6TB, (2) 3TB (most of these in drive storage cases outside of the PC)

Thanks for any ideas.