Video Editing Laptop - Which One?

milkyc2020

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hi All

I am looking for a laptop for video editing. Only 1080p at the moment, but hopefully 4k in a few months time so want it to be future proof. (Adobe Premiere)

Around £1300 budget, which seems I can get:-

i7-7700HQ
16-32 GB Ram
128GB SSD, 1TB HDD
GTX 1050Ti

I know there might be a couple of CPUs better like the:

Intel Core i7-6950X - 10 Core/20 Threads

But not sure if available for laptops or in my budget that I can find.

Any suggestions before I purchase? (prob go for the Asus ROG 32gb out of the two below)

Thanks

Mike

MSI GE72 7RE (Apache Pro) 011UK 17.3 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) - (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10)

£1194.97

http://amzn.eu/7Fs9cFr

Asus ROG Strix GL753VE-DS74-HID4 FHD IPS 17.3" i7-7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz (1050 Ti/256G SSD+1T HDD/32G RAM)

£1386.46

http://amzn.eu/a1VbTZu

Solution
sounds like a plan to me. And honestly, you don't need 256GB of SSD honestly. Windows take up about 20-30gb, and Adobe takes up maybe 10-20 (deepending which apps you are using). So you still have room to save to the SSD and then transfer over. Honestly, your render times should be pretty quick. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 6700 or 7700K, not sure which one yet. Gotta see if there is a BIOS update for my mobo.
Honestly dude, all of them will be pretty much the same. I would probably go with the MSI GE72 7RE (Apache Pro). The reason being it, it saves almost 200 bucks, and it still has a 128gb SSD. You load windows and adobe (or whatever editing you will use) and you should be good.

milkyc2020

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for your reply. The Asus has a 256G SSD+1T HDD and double the RAM. With video editing I reckon 32gb will be very beneficial for the extra bit for cash?

Does it absolutely have to be a laptop? Video rendering with Adobe Premiere is going to hit the CPU hard, so you'd benefit from the extra cooling that a desktop can provide. You'd also have the option to choose a more powerful CPU and larger, faster storage devices to write the video files to.

milkyc2020

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Yes, I have an i7 desktop. This is for when I am out on the road.

In that case, I'd take the ASUS on account of its larger SSD. With the MSI you're almost certainly going to have to write the video to the HDD, which is going to be far, far slower than an SSD.

Oh wow, didn't see that memory for the ASUS. Yes go with the ASUS (if you can). You can always upgrade later. I edit with 16GB of memory, and it isn't that bad. When it comes to rendering, CPU plays more than memory does.

I usually write my videos to my SSD, and then copy them later. It seems quicker that way. I copied a 3GB file in about a minute, so that kinda gives you an idea.

I have a MSI gt60 that I bought about 4-5 years ago, literally beat the crap out of this thing and it keeps going. Many of times I have thrown it in my backpack while on and forgot about it to the point where the bag gets to hot to carry.

Came with a 120GB m.2 drive with a 1TB platter and 2 extra M.2 slots that I have added cards into. Ram slots are easy to get to on the back and can be upgraded/added to.

I honestly will not buy another laptop other then MSI ever again, and im a huge ASUS fan any and all computers I build are ROG boards.

milkyc2020

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

The MSI is a maybe, but it just might be worth saving the extra bit of cash until I need the 32gb ram later in the year.

The reason is because the MSI is amazing at keeping cool and the Asus apparently gets very hot quickly.

Hmmm

But then the MSI is a Hybrid (HDD/SDD) and not a true SSD. Choices choices!

sounds like a plan to me. And honestly, you don't need 256GB of SSD honestly. Windows take up about 20-30gb, and Adobe takes up maybe 10-20 (deepending which apps you are using). So you still have room to save to the SSD and then transfer over. Honestly, your render times should be pretty quick. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 6700 or 7700K, not sure which one yet. Gotta see if there is a BIOS update for my mobo.

Solution