[SOLVED] Video Editing Laptop

Eddievet

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi to all!

In the past few months i have been looking for a device (mainly laptops) able to do some basic and average (very little intermediate) video editing (possibly with Davinci Resolve) and have noticed that the battle in cpu (less in gpu) market is going crazy.
I am seeing that Ryzen are gaining momentum and hence seem to lead the saturated market with few versions when it comes to power for video editing.
I have seen very few laptops with Ryzen cpu as most are build with Intel. I think i have found a decent laptop (worth about $900) with intel cpu which i came accross few days ago.
This laptop has these specs which i believing it could handle most video editing tasks (image link https://paste.pics/09bbd213ce1b7c34475903d12500a000)
I would like to know if this laptop with these specs can perform well in 4k video editing.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Certainly budget is the key. Prior to searching for a laptop i was looking to purchase a mini pc but didn't find one that can handle 4k video editing. Have you come across a decent one?

Well if you want a smaller form factor pc, then that's pretty easy to make, although the monitor is going to be very pricey if you want 4k. Prebuilts at this price range are out of question, so the only real thing to do is just to make a small pc from scratch. Here's the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WilliamLu/saved/#view=gJxC6h

To note a few things: As you are video editing, I added the fastest CPU that I could fit, meaning that your GPU is going to be very low end. I hope that's fine, since you have a blazing fast processor to...

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hello,

This looks like a decent laptop for the price, so it should render videos relatively quickly although it probably won't be the best looking at only 8 gbs of ram and a core i5. If you can stretch the budget just a little, and given that prime day is coming up so you should be able to get some decent savings on this, try the ASUS Vivobook K571. It's got a much better core i7, 16 gigs of ram, and an astronomically better gpu than the other one. It's currently going for around 1000 bucks, but its probably gonna drop down a little thanks to black friday and prime day.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Vivoboo...p_36:90000-100000&rnid=386442011&s=pc&sr=1-11

Eddievet

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi

Thanks for the update on Asus model. I had a good look and checked out many reviews on Asus Vivobook. The overall specs look much better than the Mechenike.
While reading and watching reviews on youtube and other forums i came across on another model https://www.eluktronics.com/RP-15/
This one seem to overpass Asus in overall performance. i7 10750 vs Ryzon 7 4800H (Ryzen 7 4800 has -1% performance compare to i7 10750H) and GPU (Asus Gtx 1060 vs Rtx 2060 which has 128% better performance. Also it offers 144hz over 120 hz Asus does, better cooling system and more. I think the $200+ justifies a long term investment.
Hope that RP-15 has a good Black Friday.
What are your thoughts? Also do you think that Black Friday is the biggest discount day of the year or is there a better one?
Thank you!

Last edited:

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi to all!

In the past few months i have been looking for a device (mainly laptops) able to do some basic and average (very little intermediate) video editing (possibly with Davinci Resolve) and have noticed that the battle in cpu (less in gpu) market is going crazy.
I am seeing that Ryzen are gaining momentum and hence seem to lead the saturated market with few versions when it comes to power for video editing.
I have seen very few laptops with Ryzen cpu as most are build with Intel. I think i have found a decent laptop (worth about $900) with intel cpu which i came accross few days ago.
This laptop has these specs which i believing it could handle most video editing tasks (image link https://paste.pics/09bbd213ce1b7c34475903d12500a000)
I would like to know if this laptop with these specs can perform well in 4k video editing.

Thanks in advance
i am not sure why u need laptop for video editing 4k...u will have problems with over heating...if u need mobile pc build some micro pc will be better of any laptop...

Eddievet

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi
I truly and honestly appreciate your thoughts.
That's true! Why laptops when heating can be a true problem? I am looking for something decent worth the price wise and tech. The 4k videos which i intend to work with are not advanced.
From what i've searched pc and laptops have about the same price so why not laptops instead of having another bulky"furniture" on my desk. That is why i thought of going for a laptop. Also i am looking at the option or mini/micro pc. Do you know any particular model?
Regarding "build some micro pc will be better" The few models which i was looking at seem to be weak and over heat easily. Maybe you can point/mention a model or two to have a look at.
Also i am not capable of building one myself, not because i don't have the knowledge of parts but because of putting together the right parts. Maybe you can direct me to read/look/learn from a link. Or maybe you can show me few models.
Thank you!

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Hi

Thanks for the update on Asus model. I had a good look and checked out many reviews on Asus Vivobook. The overall specs look much better than the Mechenike.
While reading and watching reviews on youtube and other forums i came across on another model https://www.eluktronics.com/RP-15/
This one seem to overpass Asus in overall performance. i7 10750 vs Ryzon 7 4800H (Ryzen 7 4800 has -1% performance compare to i7 10750H) and GPU (Asus Gtx 1060 vs Rtx 2060 which has 128% better performance. Also it offers 144hz over 120 hz Asus does, better cooling system and more. I think the $200+ justifies a long term investment.
Hope that RP-15 has a good Black Friday.
What are your thoughts? Also do you think that Black Friday is the biggest discount day of the year or is there a better one?
Thank you!

Well, the model you showed has a better rendering cpu, which is what you are using it for. Also, the gpu is better. So, it really depends on whether or not you want to spend any more. Yes, this laptop is better, but that makes sense because it's more pricey. It's up to your budget, but if you can, then definitely go for it

Eddievet

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Well, the model you showed has a better rendering cpu, which is what you are using it for. Also, the gpu is better. So, it really depends on whether or not you want to spend any more. Yes, this laptop is better, but that makes sense because it's more pricey. It's up to your budget, but if you can, then definitely go for it
Certainly budget is the key. Prior to searching for a laptop i was looking to purchase a mini pc but didn't find one that can handle 4k video editing. Have you come across a decent one?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

Well if you want a smaller form factor pc, then that's pretty easy to make, although the monitor is going to be very pricey if you want 4k. Prebuilts at this price range are out of question, so the only real thing to do is just to make a small pc from scratch. Here's the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WilliamLu/saved/#view=gJxC6h

To note a few things: As you are video editing, I added the fastest CPU that I could fit, meaning that your GPU is going to be very low end. I hope that's fine, since you have a blazing fast processor to make up for it. Also, 32 gigabytes of RAM is generally synonymous with video editing and rendering, so I added that. They are a bit slow, however, but I did include a decent motherboard that should be able to handle overclocking them a little bit, along with your CPU.

Finally, the monitor is 4k, which means that you will actually be able to take advantage of 4k editing. It is taking a major portion of your budget, however, if that's ok.

Reactions: Eddievet
Solution