[SOLVED] Video editing PC spec - your opinion?

Alonzzo2

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Lncf9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($559.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($385.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($385.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($418.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2114.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-10 06:23 EDT-0400

This is for a professional video editor/photographer
Would love to hear your take on this spec.
Thanks!

Solution
If it's only one person operating from a single computer, I see little reason for NAS. Might as well keep it inside the machine he's working from.

Here's an idea. Go with a....500GB OS & programs NVMe SSD ($60-$100) and a 4TB SATA SSD (Samsung 860 EVO = $580) for the videos. Just trying to approach this from a file management standpoint ("which drive did I put that project on?") Total = $680

Alternatively, I'm not sold that a PCIe4.0 SSD is necessary. The XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB = $290 each. Rakuten used to offer 15% coupons from Adata on these, haven't seen that for a while, but I haven't been looking as hard lately. They do do 24 hour site-wide 15% discounts from time to time. Total = $500-$580.
Are they doing 4K or higher video? Peuget Systems recommends 64GB RAM for 4K, 128GB for 6K/8K.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

If their workload has a lot of GPU acceleration a GTX 2070 Super even 2080 Ti may be worth the costs.

Are they storing a lot of video? Some 10TB drives in RAID 5/6/10 may be worth it to them. If they are working with some sort of NAS device. 10GbE may be worthwhile.

They might want a small SSD for OS and apps. So the NVMe can be dedicated to project files and cache. Although the NVMe should be fast enough to handle all tasks without a hitch.

How about audio? Is the onboard audio good enough for them?

Just stuff to consider. The less time they spend waiting for the computer. The more time they have to work. The system you listed will work well for most editors. It also really depends on how much time they spend editing and how much video they edit. Photo editing isn't nearly as demanding.

Alonzzo2

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks guys for your comments!

First off, the PSU: Corsair RM650. Isn't that expensive and seems good overall.
Case: NZXT 710i / Corsair 570x (isn't critical)

@velocityg4:
He's gonna stick to 4K videos for the foreseeable future, so gonna stick to 32GB, but with an option to expand - MB has 4 slots, 32 composed of 2*16.

GPU: I'll look into that, from what I read the GPU has a small affect when editing/rendering but I'll read some more.

NAS: yes, I told him about NAS, I need to read about NAS drives to see if 10gigs is common (though HDDs usually get to max ~120MB/s...) but 10Gig ethernet card is a good idea - too bad it isn't included in any MB (fastest I've seen is 2.5G)

Audio - he edits weddings/conventions etc. so the audio quality is quite standard, the onboard sound card should suffice.

@velocityg4 @tennis2:
The reason we chose 2*NVME 2TB is: He works on many simultaneous projects for a long time, so it is possible for more than 2TB of raw data to still be relevant and be in a WIP state. If possible, we would have gone for 4TB.
The OS will just be on one of the drives, I don't think it will cause any issues with speed and responsiveness of this monster:)

Would love to get your feedback,
Thanks all!

If it's only one person operating from a single computer, I see little reason for NAS. Might as well keep it inside the machine he's working from.

Here's an idea. Go with a....500GB OS & programs NVMe SSD ($60-$100) and a 4TB SATA SSD (Samsung 860 EVO = $580) for the videos. Just trying to approach this from a file management standpoint ("which drive did I put that project on?") Total = $680

Alternatively, I'm not sold that a PCIe4.0 SSD is necessary. The XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB = $290 each. Rakuten used to offer 15% coupons from Adata on these, haven't seen that for a while, but I haven't been looking as hard lately. They do do 24 hour site-wide 15% discounts from time to time. Total = $500-$580.

Last edited:
Solution

Alonzzo2

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
He has another laptop from which he can also access his files (yoga 9) but the main point of the NAS is to be his backup storage for all the projects he keeps for months and years after he already delivered the final product.
Currently, he has 6 TB HDDs installed inside the old desktop and an external 4TB,
So I suggested connecting all these HDDs (which contain only backups) to the router via the USB port, and if needed, buy an additional NAS for additional backup.

Its just that installing all these HDDs at the desktop is not future proof, eventually he will buy more HDDs and a NAS is a better solution I think.

Regarding the 500G NVME and 4TB Samsung 860 - its a good idea, especially the part where you said "which drive did I put that project on", that's a good point, but don't you think he would notice the difference between copying/moving/processing files stored on NVME compared to SATA SSD (the Samsung 860) ?