Question Video Editing Power Confusion

May 29, 2019
Let me start by saying I'm as ignorant about computers as they come. I can use computers just fine, but when it comes to the hows, whys, and wheres of the internal operation inside the tower I'm clueless.

I've getting into low-stakes video editing (vacation videos and the like) and I currently use Photoshop Premier Pro to do it. I've found my desktop bogging down with the program to the point of it being unusable. I've started looking for a budget video editing/gaming laptop I can dedicate to Premier Pro and hopefully avoid this bogging down.

The issue is I have no clue what I'm comparing when it comes to the processor and graphics card. I'm looking at keeping my laptop budget under $600 (cheap I know) and I don't want to accidentally buy something with the same computing power as the desktop I already have.

My current system has a AMD A8-7600 processor and Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C +6G 3.10 GHz graphics card, and 8 GB RAM.

I'm looking at the Acer Aspire E 15 with 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U processor, GeForce MX150 graphics, and 8 GB RAM. It has 256 GB storage but I primarily use external hard drives for my files.

Is there anyone that can shed some light on whether or not this would be a stupid purchase? I just need something basic, not Hollywood quality and the CPU/GPU hierarchy lists I'm finding are useless.

Thanks!

May 29, 2019
Okay, makes sense. I've started looking at desktops then.

I've found 3 that caught my eye but wanted to run it by you to get your take. Would either of these desktops be better than my current machine and in your opinion could it run something like Premiere Pro smoothly? If these are decent, which one would you say is better?

CPU: i5-8400 2.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
STORAGE: 120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
VIDEO: GTX 1060 3GB

Or

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Vishera 6-Core
RAM: 16 GB
STORAGE: 2TB HDD
VIDEO: 2GB GTX 1050 Nvidia Geforce

Or

CPU: i7-7700 3.60 GHz
RAM: 16GB
STORAGE: 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
VIDEO: GTX 1060 3GB

I really appreciate any any all help!

To be fair that desktop is very outdated and I’d be surprised if modern laptop CPUs don’t outperform it.

If you’re looking just for video editing and you don’t mind buying another piece of software a used MacBook would be a good buy with Final Cut Pro X to edit (just make sure it’s a 2014 or later model so you have support for a few years).

Otherwise if you give a budget, location and what you’d like it for I’d be happy to throw a part picker list together :) that’s if you’d like to try your hand at building if you haven’t before, is rather like Lego though.

May 29, 2019
To be fair that desktop is very outdated and I’d be surprised if modern laptop CPUs don’t outperform it.

If you’re looking just for video editing and you don’t mind buying another piece of software a used MacBook would be a good buy with Final Cut Pro X to edit (just make sure it’s a 2014 or later model so you have support for a few years).

Otherwise if you give a budget, location and what you’d like it for I’d be happy to throw a part picker list together :) that’s if you’d like to try your hand at building if you haven’t before, is rather like Lego though.

The issue is budget. Trying to keep it to $600 or less. I plan on running Premier Pro on it for casual video editing, nothing professional quality. I can get the desktop listed above for $600 which meets all the recommended requirements listed by Adobe for Premier Pro. They call for a 7th gen Intel processor or newer, 4 gb on the video card (the above has 3gb but I won't be editing 4k or anything wild so I figured it'd be fine), and they recommend 16gb of RAM which it also has.

If you think there are better (and cheaper) options I'm all ears. I really appreciate the help!!!

The issue is budget. Trying to keep it to $600 or less. I plan on running Premier Pro on it for casual video editing, nothing professional quality. I can get the desktop listed above for $600 which meets all the recommended requirements listed by Adobe for Premier Pro. They call for a 7th gen Intel processor or newer, 4 gb on the video card (the above has 3gb but I won't be editing 4k or anything wild so I figured it'd be fine), and they recommend 16gb of RAM which it also has.

If you think there are better (and cheaper) options I'm all ears. I really appreciate the help!!!
Which desktop?

May 29, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qTTPP3

Here’s a list. 650 but with mail in rebates it’s under 600 (and you don’t need the cooler it’d just be good for OCing and noise) plus a couple of hours watching guides to build it.

Also you can easily upgrade it with more ram when you have the money to and if you need it. It has a better GPU too and would be a solid 1080p gaming rig.

Sorry, I was referencing the last one I listed with the i7-7700 3.60 GHz processor. I'll take a look at your link and see what I can do with it. Thanks!