Video Editing Upgrade for Gaming Pc - i5 4670k - z87gd65 gaming motherboard - gtx 780 - 8gb ram

btabucan615

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

Appreciate the help for anyone that sees this and responds. I built a gaming pc about 3-4 years ago. I had no intention of getting into video work but I guess with life, things have changed.

I currently am shooting 1080p footage and trying to edit on davinci resolve 15.

For the most part, my computer seems to do what I need but I notice that when I try to do speed ramps for video, the player is often laggy and sometimes depending on how many applications I have opened, it takes forever to switch between programs etc. I'm also using a 1tb hdd which I believe is also creating issues.

I'm thinking that upgrading the ram and hard drive to an ssd will make the computer feel faster for the video editing im doing. I will do a full system upgrade once I start shooting 4k/raw footage so at the moment I'm looking for a cheap upgrade to be "just enough" until I get to that point.

I'm looking for recommendations on the following regarding ram:

1. If I upgrade the ram, do I go to 16gb or 32gb for video editing needs

2. What mhz speed will be the most i need based on my system?

3. Do I do 2 sticks or 4 sticks based on how many channels my motherboard support

4. Does anyone have recommendations on good ram based on my questions and my system specs? Money is not really much of a concern but I would like to keep the price under $400 if anyone can recommend a good set of sticks.

5. I do not overclock and haven't tried it yet but I know my cpu can overclock so would it be good to get ram that can overclock as well just in case I want to overclock in the future? I read getting ram at a higher mhz vs what your cpu specifies will put strain, so not sure if this even works?

Thanks again for all the help if you respond to this thread :)

Hi there,

Here's some info for you.

1. 32gb for video editing.
2. Speed for your mobo at defualt is 1600mhz DDR3, so that what I'd get. It will take OC'ed ram up to 3000mhz (XMP profiles), but for Intel systems faster than default ram doesn't make that much difference. If it was a Ryzen system, I'd say get faster ram.
3. I think you can only get 8gbs sticks in DDR3, so it would have to be 4 x 8gbs and also in a kit (would be advisable), which may mean you have to get two 2 x 8gb kits as I don't think you can get a 4x kit nowadays. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-D1G72K110K4/dp/B008LMNVE6 . It's just too expensive for me. With $400 dollars you nearly have the guts of a base system that would knock the pants of your current system, so it's hard to recommend.
4. see above link.
5. In that case get a higher rated ram 1866/2400 whatever. Here's the link to the specs for the mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-GD65-GAMING/Specification

You can see the speeds supported. OC'ing is fun, but that's mostly with generic/stock parts. Those 1866, 2000, 2133 etc speeds are OC'ed settings, but are dialled into the mobo using XMP profiles which make it easy. So you don't really OC those DIMMS. you can do, but you will get little out of them.

Hope that helps some.

btabucan615

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate the response that has confirmed a lot of what I was thinking on getting.

So I found a 4 kit 32gb set on newegg. But not really sure the difference between the two other than colour.

Do you mind picking one of the two you would buy. I'll just plop it into my wish list and wait until black friday rolls around to buy.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=147%7C20-231-569%5E20-231-569%2C20-231-610%5E20-231-610

They are practically identical. Same CAS latency and timings and voltage. In this case either will just fine and give the same performance. The Ripjaws are also on the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for your mobo, which is great, and means they have been tested to work. I'd get them.