• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Video Encoding Intel i7

bmbennet

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello, I am looking to build my first ever system, and could use some input. I will mostly use this system to rip and encode dvd's and Blue rays (WMV w/ 5.1 audio), making them playable on XBOX 360's that act as media center extenders for my TV's. I plan on purchasing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, on top of my budget. Not sure what software I will be using for the video encoding, I guess what ever can best utilize the system I build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the week.

BUDGET RANGE: $800-$1000 for CPU, MOBO, CASE, POWER SUPPLY, VIDEO CARD, HDD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Encoding, Link to Xbox 360 to host movies

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference, mostly been looking on TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: From what I have read the Intel i7 920 is the way to go for encoding

OVERCLOCKING: If I can figure it out, which I plan to.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I honestly do now know what this refers to.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: For about the next year I plan to connect this to a 50" Panasonic Plasma 720P TV.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a quiet PC as it will be in the living room and running 24/7

My best guesses have led me to:
Intel i7920 $279.99
Gigabyte EX58 $189.99
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply $49.99
Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory $134.99
Ultra M923 Case $100.00
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB $84.99
No clue on selecting a video card, would like an HDMI out.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have, all of this is pretty new to me but I'm learning, slowly.

Thanks again.

bmbennet

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for the fast reply, a few questions.

Will the AMD processor be enough to efficiently encode videos? I guess that is my main goal, I would like to reduce the time it takes for that process.

Also, what is the advantage/reason behind a separate HDD for the OS? I have seen that a lot in custom build suggestions.

Thanks again