[SOLVED] Video feed issues - brand new pc

Jan 27, 2019
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a brand new pre-built PC (Overclockers UK).

I'm connecting this PC to a (also brand new) monitor via mini DP to DP. Upon launching games, the video feed often cuts with 'mini display port not detected' message appearing on the monitor. Alt+tabbing or hitting the windows key generally restores the feed, and the feed has literally never cut when not in games

Interestingly, when trying to use DP to DP I can only get 2-3 seconds of video feed upon booting and then cannot get any further feed.

I can never this issue to occur when using an HDMI connection.

I've tried everything from a full system restore, DDU, installing a new 850w psu and more besides. No issue with any component temps.

My system is as follows:

Ryzen 2600
Rx Vega 56 (Sapphire Pulse)
Corsair r850x psu
Gigabyte b450 aorus elite
480gb ssd
2tb hdd

Asus ROG 32" 2k 144hz freesync monitor.

I would appreciate any advice, further tests etc. I've got a CD key for Devil May Cry 5 being released in March - no interest in the game so happy to pass on to whoever can help me solve this absolute mystery.

Thank you All,

xMoorez

Solution
I think, weirdly, I've cracked it.... Feeling pretty dumb and like I should have mapped it all out earlier.

Sound. My audio config was causing the issue.

This also perhaps explains why HDMI worked but not DP...

Stereo speakers were connected to monitor via aux. After cranking res evil 2 to the max and playing bf5 for an extended period with no issue I decided I'm off my head and theres clearly no issue with the hardware. After running through every potential software based issue I noted literally the only game causing me issue at this stage was Witcher 3. After plugging the aux line in from my stereo speakers into the line out on my PC I can launch without any issues whatsoever.

Think the PSU has helped with heavy load games and...
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for the responses guys.

The DP-Mini DP cable looks standard as they come, supplied with the monitor.

DP-DP cable was 'high quality' but cost just £10.

I'll scour the web for a genuinely high quality cable and report back.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2019
Ordered a v1.4 dp cable "cable matters" brand £15 Amazon (dat prime delivery do).

Seems I made a very idiotic and uninformed purchase, the dp I previously bought "does not support 144hz" monitors - so entirely self inflicted perhaps.

My fingers are totally crossed. Makes perfect sense as a fix.

Will report findings back on Tuesday - really appreciate the help guys.

Jan 27, 2019
No joy with a 1.4 DP cable.

Same outcome as my current DP-Mini dp, signal lost upon launching witcher 3.

Hdmi 2.1 arriving tomorrow so can hopefully test 120hz at 2k to see if any issues then...

Any other ideas?

Jan 27, 2019
I think, weirdly, I've cracked it.... Feeling pretty dumb and like I should have mapped it all out earlier.

Sound. My audio config was causing the issue.

This also perhaps explains why HDMI worked but not DP...

Stereo speakers were connected to monitor via aux. After cranking res evil 2 to the max and playing bf5 for an extended period with no issue I decided I'm off my head and theres clearly no issue with the hardware. After running through every potential software based issue I noted literally the only game causing me issue at this stage was Witcher 3. After plugging the aux line in from my stereo speakers into the line out on my PC I can launch without any issues whatsoever.

Think the PSU has helped with heavy load games and this was a bit of a double edged issue... This Witcher 3 issue MUST be due to the audio though as now working perfectly.

Odd!!!

Solution