Video File Larger than 4 Gb

UrbanAvalon

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

So I used Fraps to record some computer gameplay, but now I've run into a bit of a snag. The file (saved as .avi) is 3.93 GB and I cannot open it in WMP, VLC or Sony Vegas to edit it.

All of the other smaller videos, captured both before and after this one, work perfectly fine. All I need to do is be able to open this in either Sony Vegas or even Windows Live Movie Maker so I can split it into smaller parts and edit it.

VLC will open with the file, but will stop after about 1 second. No audio or Video plays. I tried doing some research, and VirtualDub was recommended, but when I tried to open the file in that program I also received errors. Here are some screen shots of the file and errors:

Fraps_zpsa4314459.png

VegasError_zps9c7ac86e.png

VirtualDubError_zps37aeeba9.png

neo_classical

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Two things:
Firstly, I hate not seeing the full file name; can you disable "Hide extensions for known file types" just to make sure it is what it says it is (i.e. avi).
Secondly, you could always try altering the format to see if you can open it another way. Download Format Factory (amazing program) and change the avi file to a wmv or MP4. Maybe that'll help?

UrbanAvalon

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I tried using FormatFactory but got another error:

FormatFactory_zps860a758f.png

I'm starting to think that the file may be corrupt, because on a second glance several of my other videos in that folder are larger than 4 GB, one is even 183 GB o.o

Assuming it is corrupt, which would explain all of this, is there any way I can recover it? I have some footage in that file that I would really like to use.

And here is the folder showing extensions:

Fraps2_zpsd058da12.png