VIDEO: Fractal Design's Define XL Case Meets a Shotgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Birdshot, the stuff that has trouble penetrating a good leather jacket...

Southernshark, don't even need a slug. Buckshot of any variety would make a nice hole.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Lol this is pretty cool for people who like to rage on their pc's =D like myself back in days where i used to punch my desktop (I was only an teenager lol)

[citation][nom]osamabinrobot[/nom]hell lets show it from 5 feet instead of 25[/citation]
Ricochet, man. Ricochet.

I think it's pretty awesome that a company rep saw that somebody commented on the panels, and decided to go out and show the world how thick they really are (whether or not shooting was involved). Shooting it with a shotgun just made it more awesome.

Yeah, because I'm going to need a (somewhat) bulletproof case..
The bulletproof part doesn't really matter, but the mass/thickness of the panels do. More mass/thickness = better sound reduction, which is a primary function of the case.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]I prefer Lian Li cases. Aluminum "done right." That way, my case doesn't weigh 300lbs.[/citation]

I forgot. Everyone carries their desktop all the time. I love my Fractal. One sturdy and done right case. Corsair is next on my list.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]The bulletproof part doesn't really matter, but the mass/thickness of the panels do. More mass/thickness = better sound reduction, which is a primary function of the case.[/citation]
That's no entirely true you can achieve better sound reduction without massive panels.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
For people who rage shoot or toss their computers? Buy Fractal Design!

A good case in the $100~200 range is generally strong enough to last 10 years. Don't use them as stepping ladders or chairs.

Some people do shoot their computers, thou.

That's pretty impressive. I almost went with a Define XL, but I'm somewhat happy I didn't since the case itself is 40lbs...imagine shipping that back across the continent. Fun!

But in all honestly I really like Fractal Design. Maybe next case will be from them.

Heavy cases are a pain (literally) to my poor back when I have to lug them about, on the positive side heavy cases are tend to be quieter and don't flex as much when they are moved with better thermal properties. Back in the old days when PC's first came out all cases were heavy with thick steal cases and over the years cases have become lighter and more flimsy. Cases nowadays I think have become to flimsy being easy to dent and flex when moved causing the graphics card and others from being pulled out. I don't know if I would pay extra money for a heavy case but I would for a more sturdy case.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
My criteria for my next computer case:
-How is the air flow?
-Does it support the features I want?
-How will it deal with overclocking?
-Oh and I almost forgot...if I decide one day I'm extremely bored, buy a shotgun and decide to shoot it, will it still hold up? I know it's not something I'd do everyday with my computer, but what the hell, after a couple of beers...ya know...

[citation][nom]Dangi[/nom]That's no entirely true you can achieve better sound reduction without massive panels.[/citation]

Just because it can be done without the thicker panels doesn't mean that the thicker panels don't do the job too, so what he said is entirely true. Had he/she claimed that the thicker panels are the only way to reduce sound coming in and out of the case, then you'd be correct, but that's not what he/she said.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
1. This is quite thick and sturdy, alright.

2. Overall, Fractal Design makes absolute crap, utter trash. And only this side panel can't help Fractal Design - no matter how thick and sturdy you will make your side panel your cases are still absolute GARBAGE.

Summing it up: Buy just this panel, lol. Customize it a little bit, so it can be put onto HAF Х/HAF ХM, and you're good to go. Or make custom-made bullet-proof vest from it.
Only this way you will get at least some profit from using this.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Just because it can be done without the thicker panels doesn't mean that the thicker panels don't do the job too, so what he said is entirely true. Had he/she claimed that the thicker panels are the only way to reduce sound coming in and out of the case, then you'd be correct, but that's not what he/she said.[/citation]

Thicker pannels doesn't mean better sound reduction, I don't know how much knowledge do you have regarding waves and transmissions, but in some cases you can achieve better transmisions ( less sound reduction ) with thicker walls, what really matters is it's impedance and their reflection coefficient.

Sound is a wave, a mechanic wave and it beaheaves fairly like a electromagnetic wave, so you can apply their properties to mechanicals waves

[citation][nom]Dangi[/nom]Thicker pannels doesn't mean better sound reduction, I don't know how much knowledge do you have regarding waves and transmissions, but in some cases you can achieve better transmisions ( less sound reduction ) with thicker walls, what really matters is it's impedance and their reflection coefficient.Sound is a wave, a mechanic wave and it beaheaves fairly like a electromagnetic wave, so you can apply their properties to mechanicals waves[/citation]

Those some cases aren't very representative of computers. The thicker case walls will improve sound reduction unless they change the way they make them and/or what they are made of compared to a thinner walled version. With thicker walls, the impedance should improve unless a different variable is changed. The other variables should also remain the same unless the methods of making the walls or their materials and such are changed.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Once upon a time, the insurance company that I used to work, dared to send a PC with a cheap MIDI ATX case to another town, using regular courier. It arrived twisted on two different angles, like someone tried to sqeeze it like a wet towel. I really like quality of this case. Surely it will be a hell if you try to move it, but hey, there's a reason for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.