Video Game Museum Seeks Kickstarter Funds, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Now... I love museums, and I love video games, but for the life of me I see almost no interest in going to a video game museum... What am I missing?

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Now... I love museums, and I love video games, but for the life of me I see almost no interest in going to a video game museum... What am I missing?

Are you seriously asking us that question? I don't think we have any more insight into how your mind works than you do.

To be fair, this seems like one of those things you either look at and you love it or you just don't get it, but it actually isn't. Just about anyone who grew up with a game controller in their hand and has even the smallest spark of nostalgia for that time period will love the idea before they even finish reading the title.

But, really it is about a lot more. Programming is actually an excellent career, and because kids love video games usually, and the museum teaches them basic game programming, it is really a gate way into higher education. They might take to the art side of it and decide they want to learn photoshop and graphic design, or they might decide they want to make programs for a living or android applications. There are several paths the children can take from there. It may not be a path for everyone, but I don't think anyone has ever said that the world has too many educational opportunities for youths. So if you don't get why someone would want to collect this stuff (which I have a small retro video game collection myself), you can probably see it from that point of view.

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

There's a lot out there to take interest in. What does the evolution of console gaming look like starting with commodore and going up to the Wii U? Street Fighter is a gaming series that has been around for AGES, not just as a console, but as an arcade game. How has the game evolved over the last 20 years, graphically as well as the game play? Where does computer gaming fit in? How does Mobil gaming fit in and is it that different than the old hand held games you'd get from an end cap at a gas station where Batman would jump from roof top to roof top and throw a batarang at bad guys? There's a ton of information and history out there. Partner that with the ability to hold classes on programming and you have something that any young kid could get excited about, and something their parents would probably get a kick out of (revisiting the "good ol' days").

This is rather dumb.
If you buy a PC now, you could probably fit 100% of the games that were created till 2000 on it assuming you get a decent storage capacity. Everyone who wants can create their own museaum: Just dont throw away your old computers and make a backup or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.