Hello everyone!,

Recently, I built my first gaming PC, and these are it's specs:

>Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3 Ghz
>4 GB Corsair RAM
>Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard
>Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB Graphics
>Cooler Master 700W PSU
>1TB Seagate HDD

At first, it all seemed very well, but after installing and playing a couple of games, I noticed some crashing to the desktop (Portal 2, HAWX), failing to respond, and some even hard froze my computer (Crysis 2).

I have tried uninstalling-reinstalling the games that have displayed these problems, I have updated both drivers and patches, but to no avail; the problems are still there.

So, I began targeting hardware. I suspected the RAM at first, but after running Memtest86 for a while, with no issues, I started to look elsewhere. Being that these issues only occur in games, I began to look at my graphics card.

Looking at Events manager and Reliability monitor, only then did I realise there is a reoccurring warning, that is linked with every crash/issue with my computer:

"Video Hardware Error"

Does this mean my HD 6950 is defective and needs to be sent away to be repaired/replaced? (It should be under warranty) I know this may state the obvious, but I just want to get some confirmation and advice!

Any explanations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Relatively New

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Well thanks for the advice! My graphics card is indeed an over clocked model, it's a Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6950, stock overclocked to 870MHz, from 800MHz

I'm having another go at completely reinstalling the drivers at the moment, but it is probably a physical defect...

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
i agree...it was more of a check. If the OC is just unstable, and not the card persay, it would at least work properly until you sent it in for the rma.

Either way, which i wasn't clear on, the card is bad. Im just curious as to why...lol

Relatively New

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Well after uninstalling and re installing the display drivers, I'm still getting issues! The only thing I have not done is update the chipset drivers and BIOS. Apart from that, the only other clear cause is a defective card...

But again, thanks for all the quick responses and advice!