Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

My monitor appears blurry. I probably should have reached around and done
something from the back. (It is a Trinitron Multiscan 400 PS). But I
decided to try to adjust the driver. I used to have two monitors until one
gave up, and my settings show two. I figured if I could get rid of one,
the video card would work better. I didn't see any way to delete the 2nd
monitor from the settings.

But I did download a video upgrade and tell it to install.

When it rebooted, all the computers on my home LAN no longer connected to
the internet and I had a black screen. I waited for a while and turned
off my computer. My computer showed the video card screen for a long while
and then went dark for a long while. I did a control alt-delete and was
able to get my logon screen. I logged in and got the background with no
foreground at all, not even the task bar.

I hard booted and tried restoring to previous setting.

Stuck. I hard booted and tried safe mode. Stuck after loading
agr440.sys.

Rebooted. From the black screen did a control-alt-delete to get my login
screen. Picked a different user. I got the background screen only. I
did ctl-alt-delete and got the task manager. No processes were found. I
told it to log-off. After a while it asked if I wanted to kill Explorer.
I waited and it logged off.

I logged on to my normal screen. Everything appears to be working. I
haven't yet rebooted.

I still see two monitors in my settings.

What's my next step?

check to make sure that the video drivers you installed are the right ones.
If not uninstall them and install the right ones
Download and install the .inf file for your Trinitron.
adjust the resolution and refresh rate to manufacturer specs.
use the controls on the monitor to adjust contrast/color/etc
leave everything else alone.
peterk

<howard@brazee.net> wrote in message
> My monitor appears blurry. I probably should have reached around and done
> something from the back. (It is a Trinitron Multiscan 400 PS). But I
> decided to try to adjust the driver. I used to have two monitors until
> one
> gave up, and my settings show two. I figured if I could get rid of one,
> the video card would work better. I didn't see any way to delete the 2nd
> monitor from the settings.
>
> But I did download a video upgrade and tell it to install.
>
> When it rebooted, all the computers on my home LAN no longer connected to
> the internet and I had a black screen. I waited for a while and turned
> off my computer. My computer showed the video card screen for a long
> while
> and then went dark for a long while. I did a control alt-delete and was
> able to get my logon screen. I logged in and got the background with no
> foreground at all, not even the task bar.
>
> I hard booted and tried restoring to previous setting.
>
> Stuck. I hard booted and tried safe mode. Stuck after loading
> agr440.sys.
>
> Rebooted. From the black screen did a control-alt-delete to get my login
> screen. Picked a different user. I got the background screen only. I
> did ctl-alt-delete and got the task manager. No processes were found.
> told it to log-off. After a while it asked if I wanted to kill Explorer.
> I waited and it logged off.
>
> I logged on to my normal screen. Everything appears to be working. I
> haven't yet rebooted.
>
> I still see two monitors in my settings.
>
> What's my next step?

If you managed to enable "Cleartype" in the XP display settings, that
will make a CRT monitor look fuzzy.