Question Video issues on Dell laptop ?

Spec_tech

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Hey everyone. So i'm having a weird video issue with my Dell Latitude E5470 running Windows 10, but i have a theory or idea on what the issue is.

So randomly, after several months of using it, the video started going haywire with geometric distortions that make the screen mostly unreadable.
I did some troubleshooting and found that the issue only occurs when booted to an OS that has the official Intel Display Drivers actively running.
The video is fine in safe mode, normal mode when updated Display drivers aren't installed, and other bootable live OS's that don't use the Intel drivers.

I've already tried doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 to rule out any OS issues and the issue is still ongoing.
I've also gone through the Dell Onboard Preboot Diagnostics and ran the screen and CPU tests and they've both ran fine.
There are cracks in the screen bezel at the top left and right corners, so i thought it might be a screen issue, but the screen test ran fine like i said. And the screen works fine in other modes like i said above.

I also found the Windows Update will automatically install the Dell display driver as soon as it gets an internet connection, so i've had to keep the internet off while troubleshooting sometimes.

My only conclusion is that, since knowing that the graphics processing is done on the CPU, the GPU/CPU is malfunctioning and somehow causing this.
Now this is only a theory, but this is the only one i can come up with know the symptoms.

Now i'd rather not buy another CPU and rip open the laptop to replace it, but it's the only options I can see right now.

Is this theory sound? Or am i missing something?

View: https://imgur.com/a/u0RmMj0

Last edited:
Which intel driver did you install? try the intel update utility and install all drivers

Connect an external monitor or TV to it. If it comes up there too, it´s the graphics unit and you can throw the laptop away, it´s soldered to the motherboard and can´t just be replaced.

Spec_tech

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Which intel driver did you install? try the intel update utility and install all drivers
I installed the latest one from the Dell website for my model. Direct download.

Connect an external monitor or TV to it. If it comes up there too, it´s the graphics unit and you can throw the laptop away, it´s soldered to the motherboard and can´t just be replaced.
Alright. I'll give that a shot. I don't have a spare HDMI cable, but i just ordered one and have to give it a few days to come in. I didn't think about that, but that will definitely rule out the screen vs the cpu.

Thanks a bunch and i'll let you know.

Reactions: helpstar

Spec_tech

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
did your try this?
Alright. So i just tried it. It looked promising at first, but once it got fully installed the screen just went haywire again.

I also noticed, because i connected to the laptop with TightVNC, that the video being sent to my desktop was also doing the same things as the laptop. Sounds like the GPU is just gone if it's sending the same video via remote viewing.