VIDEO: New RAGE Game Clip Focuses on Gearheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Cool but not for the kiddie console, PC for me. You could tell this movie was done on the console because the way the player aimed, he sucked and he turned as he walked real slow too. Kiddie consoles suck for FPS games.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I dont get excited anymore about PC titles when I see its also on consols... These PC ports are starting to become disappointing.[/citation]
This is done with the new Tech 5 engine (very scalable) from John Carmack/iD Software. The PC version should rock too.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah not only could you tell a game pad was being used, the textures are horribly compressed. This is one of the console versions for sure. I hope they release some newer footage from the PC version. Haven't seen any except from a long time ago.

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
But even Carmack said they couldn't do as much (graphically) as they wanted to... so expect borderlands graphics with better animations. ID is great at making engines... games, not so much (lately).

Only reason I would buy it is if BF3 beta was not going. Until then Deus Ex (which while obviously limited due to consoles still has the good deus ex mechanics/feel/story).

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
@cwolf78

Carmack said there would be no high res textures. Noted that the project was rushed and they didn't have time. He wanted to do a high res pack as DLC though but I doubt that would fly.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
In my opinion the game looks average. Nothing to get hyped about.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]amazing graphics running 60 frames. that's neat. love borderlands and fallout. going to get this game too.[/citation]

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The models looked decent but if you notice the surroundings like the broken down car it looked pretty awful. They clearly focused on the character models and neglected everything else. Another case would the the barrel on fire, not only is the fire poorly done but the lighting around it.

Perhaps the PC version will look much better in these areas and maybe its just due to console limitations but if not you can expect a mod team to find this unacceptable and do a much better job than id did... which is sort of pathetic if you think about it.

G

Looked very average, nothing next-gen for sure. Also doesnt look to be anywhere near 60fps. Looks like doom3 engine with slightly better textures and graphics overall, filtered though an xbox then churned out by a PC. Big *yawn* from me.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Graphically not too bad for a port. But the game play was seriously BORING. Yay, another average FPS ported from the consoles. This one will definitely flop based on this trailer. I will wait till it goes on steam sale. From the looks of the gameplay should only take 3-4 months tops.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
All hype.

It looked promising even though it's pretty much a Borderlands / Fallout rip-off and I was looking forward to it, but if that's the gameplay then it looks like typical id software games did... I never bought into the whole Quake / Doom franchises because they've always felt far from being "smooth"... Not like Source engine or Unreal engine games...

Just look at model collision in the video I mean, you see quite a few with the sentry bots or w/e them mech spiders are called when walk around or when they jump at people etc. And the models feel choppy moving around, nowhere near Frostbite 2 fluidness... And the enemies' voices (or should I say voice since there seems to be only one...), sounds like they only have 1 sound file to play from?

Hope they can fix it before release...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom] Hope they can fix it before release...[/citation]

What you are seeing is pretty much what you can expect. This far into development there will be no major changes from the game-play video above.
A this point its all about tweaking performance and trying to spot bugs.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Kileak[/nom]All hype.It looked promising even though it's pretty much a Borderlands / Fallout rip-off and I was looking forward to it, but if that's the gameplay then it looks like typical id software games did... I never bought into the whole Quake / Doom franchises because they've always felt far from being "smooth"... Not like Source engine or Unreal engine games...Just look at model collision in the video I mean, you see quite a few with the sentry bots or w/e them mech spiders are called when walk around or when they jump at people etc. And the models feel choppy moving around, nowhere near Frostbite 2 fluidness... And the enemies' voices (or should I say voice since there seems to be only one...), sounds like they only have 1 sound file to play from?Hope they can fix it before release...[/citation]

cool, a borderlands clone that was in development way before borderlands. Amazing logic you have right there. Right? Right?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I dont get excited anymore about PC titles when I see its also on consols... These PC ports are starting to become disappointing.[/citation]
try playing Crysis 2 with the PC DX11 patch...amazing...that's what PC gaming is all about

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Meh, looks like a wannabe half life 2 mixed with doom port. Ok back in the day but um... I think ill pass. Its 2011 i think ill save my money for BF3 and Skyrim.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Carmacks hour long speech about the game was just all to hype up the game to try and make up for its downfalls i guess. So sick off the dark and gloomy closed in post apocalyptic crap. Doesnt anyone have any imagination anymore? Need to stop copying already.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]amazing graphics running 60 frames. that's neat[/citation]
Um no, you're missing the point of their engine. It's not "nice graphics running at 60fps". In fact the textures are low resolution so if you walk up closely you'll clearly see this. The core part of the engine is that it can stream the textures meaning you can get this "decent" graphics at 60fps on _HUGE_ maps!

Status
Not open for further replies.