VIDEO: Nvidia Demos Borderlands 2 on Project Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
This technology should not be GeForce or Tegra limited, specially because we're sure there's no hardware involved or necessary to do this. Sooner or later someone will do a any-PC any-Handheld (Android/iOS/Windows) and they will loose the ground they are using to advertise.

Just like PhysX was dedicated hardware, and then software for nVidia and now software for any CPU/GPU.

G

Can I set up an android tablet with KB+M as a portable gaming station as well? Right now my PC is set up in my living room connected to the big screen which is great except when someone wants to use the TV at the same time.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Its a cool and probably useful feature for GeForce cards but seriously,unless you're the type who prefers to play ONLINE games on a tiny screen while lying on the couch/walking between rooms, instead of sitting infront of the FHD monitor as you should be,.. I don't see much merit on getting this video-streamer/android console.

Granted, you can play Android games as a standalone unit but to have PC quality gaming means that you need a fairly powerful (and usable by itself) PC and a consistently robust wireless connection.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]This technology should not be GeForce or Tegra limited, specially because we're sure there's no hardware involved or necessary to do this. Sooner or later someone will do a any-PC any-Handheld (Android/iOS/Windows) and they will loose the ground they are using to advertise.Just like PhysX was dedicated hardware, and then software for nVidia and now software for any CPU/GPU.[/citation]
There actually is hardware involved. The PC-side software uses the nvEnc hardware only present on Kepler cores. Now there's no reason it couldn't use something like Intel's QuickSync too but it might be higher latency, depending on if they have any optimizations from doing it on the rendering GPU (perhaps transcoding the framebuffer was purposefully built to be really fast to support Shield).

cozmosis

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
It's amazing how many people are missing the point - it's not about playing on a tiny 5" screen, although that is something you can do - it's the idea that if you don't want to sit in front of your pc, you don't have to, and it can go on to a tv etc.

My sofa is far more comfortable than my desk chair, even if it is a nice leather executive one. My cinema surround setup is worth more than my car. Generally speaking, a gaming 'experience' is much better on a larger more immersive screen, more comfortable setting, and better sound.

What this actually boils down to is 1) whether or not lag is an issue and 2) the old joypad vs mouse/kb debate. Both of which vary person to person.

There has been software around for a while that loads up a game on your main computer, streams it over a network to a laptop for example, and let's you play the full power of your pc on something that might otherwise not be able to. I think the concept is good, and it's all about pulling off lag/visual quality.

festerovic

Distinguished
If I want to play on the couch, I will use the PC attached to my tv to play a game...

[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]This technology should not be GeForce or Tegra limited, especially because we're sure there's no hardware involved or necessary to do this. Sooner or later someone will do a any-PC any-Handheld (Android/iOS/Windows) and they will lose the ground they are using to advertise.Just like PhysX was dedicated hardware, and then software for nVidia and now software for any CPU/GPU.[/citation]
totally agree.

G

I can't wait to play games on a 5'' display while my 27'' monitor is sitting on the desk...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]This technology should not be GeForce or Tegra limited, specially because we're sure there's no hardware involved or necessary to do this. Sooner or later someone will do a any-PC any-Handheld (Android/iOS/Windows) and they will loose the ground they are using to advertise.Just like PhysX was dedicated hardware, and then software for nVidia and now software for any CPU/GPU.[/citation]
It's not limited to Geforce or Tegra, but there's a reason it hasn't been done yet. It's difficult to achieve with low latency, even on a local network. In this case, Nvidia has the benefit of developing the hardware encoder and decoder on both ends, as well as the software in between. And then there's the problem of controls when the only input option you have is a touch screen. I think that auto rules out effectively streaming most titles out there. Shield has a unique set of features to offer, that cannot be easily replicated on just any smartphone.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
[citation][nom]cozmosis[/nom]It's amazing how many people are missing the point - it's not about playing on a tiny 5" screen, although that is something you can do - it's the idea that if you don't want to sit in front of your pc, you don't have to, and it can go on to a tv etc.My sofa is far more comfortable than my desk chair, even if it is a nice leather executive one. My cinema surround setup is worth more than my car. Generally speaking, a gaming 'experience' is much better on a larger more immersive screen, more comfortable setting, and better sound.What this actually boils down to is 1) whether or not lag is an issue and 2) the old joypad vs mouse/kb debate. Both of which vary person to person.There has been software around for a while that loads up a game on your main computer, streams it over a network to a laptop for example, and let's you play the full power of your pc on something that might otherwise not be able to. I think the concept is good, and it's all about pulling off lag/visual quality.[/citation]
how about hooking up your pc to an hdtv then plugging in a xbox360 controller then sit on a couch? you are the one who's not getting it.

cozmosis

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]how about hooking up your pc to an hdtv then plugging in a xbox360 controller then sit on a couch? you are the one who's not getting it.[/citation]

How about some of us live in our own house, and the pc might not be in the same room as the tv? My office is about 20m~ cable length from my cinema room. It's utterly impractical to move/cable up my gaming rig to my cinema setup - as it is for many if not most people who have a dedicated home cinema/entertainment room.

Bipolarity

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
"Project Shield may encourage Radeon gamers to get a GeForce card and Nvidia's handheld console."

not a chance in hell.. for me at least...

Im not going to go buy a geforce card for $100+ dollars more than the counterpart AMD card that outperforms it just so I can play games on the move(isn't that what a gaming laptop is for?)

or so I can play android games.. coz cmon... who wants to play android games? I had an droid phone for 2 years hated all games but world of goo... and you know what I ended up playing it on my computer because my 4.5 inch screen was too small...
and chances are if you DO like droid games.. you already have an android phone soo getting a shield would just be extra sht to carry around

not to mention australia's internet wont even keep up with it for a good 80% of the country...
broadband in most rural places have almost unbearable latency when connected directly via a cat5 let alone wireless.

G

Pointless! It's a Tegra 4 gaming console, that can play big boy games... IF you have a big boy PC. If you had a big boy PC, why on earth would you want to make your gaming suffer by playing on such a small screen? I see no purpose behind this device.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cozmosis[/nom]How about some of us live in our own house, and the pc might not be in the same room as the tv? My office is about 20m~ cable length from my cinema room. It's utterly impractical to move/cable up my gaming rig to my cinema setup - as it is for many if not most people who have a dedicated home cinema/entertainment room.[/citation]

lol you talk about having a dedicated home cinema/entertainment room, with a sound system worth more then your car, but then you talk about how it's impractical to have a PC hooked up to it.

Also, gaming on a 24" monitor that's 2 feet from your face is much more immersive then gaming on a big screen on your couch from far away, cuz the 24" monitor occupies significantly more of your field of view. To get the same field of you you'd have to be gaming on an 80" TV from about 8 feet away.

Also, but massive sound systems are awesome, but HIGHLY impractical. The amount of times per month I can have my home theater system with it's sub booming from the entertainment room while I'm gaming are very rare. I'm also found that a good set of headphone's/headset offers a much more immersive experience, because it isolates you from all other sounds in your house.

tl;dr: sitting at my desk with my monitor and headset offers much more immersive experience then sitting 12 feet away from a TV with my sound system annoying everyone in the house.

G

Was definatly going to purchase this, but no streaming pc games with a amd gpu? What a joke.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot nvidia. I wont be selling my HD6870 for a GTX6XX series card + buy project shield to remotely play pc games around my house when I can already stream my games for my desktop gaming rig to my netbook using streammygame.com.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

well the great thing about it is that it was created specifically to cater to "Your" special needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.