Video ONLY through gpu, not motherboard

sprrw

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
i built my first computer a few months ago and i've been plugging my monitor exclusively into my video card via DVI with no problem.

however, we suddenly got a new tv and would like to watch movies on it via a long HDMI cable that can cross the living room (my video card has no HDMI but my motherboard does). no dice!
i tried simply using my regular monitor and plugging it into the motherboard... no go. tried both VGA and DVI (only ports my monitor has.)
i have been careful to select the correct setting in my monitor's menu, and it still does not detect! but as long as i'm plugging it into my card, it recognizes my monitor right away no matter what.
i simply cannot for the life of me get a signal out of my motherboard (P8Z77-V LK).

the only alternative i can come up with would be to buy some adapters and just use the video card.

Do you have iGPU Multi-Monitor enabled?

I don't think you would see anything on the display at boot with the monitor connected to the motherboard and with the GPU still installed (unless IGFX is set as the Primary Display, but you don't really want that, since you have a GPU).

With iGPU Multi-Monitor enabled, you'll need to keep the main monitor connected to the GPU, and you should be able to see something on the second screen (connected to the motherboard) after Windows loads (or at least be able to configure it).

Which GPU is it, though? It most likely has a mini-HDMI port (and many GPU's come with a mini-HDMI to full size HDMI adapter (mine did)).

sprrw

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
i don't know what iGPU multi-monitor display is, but i'll do my homework right away. my card is a ti 448.

so i cannot use my motherboard's video-outs for my primary display? we have a shared 50" TV that we'd like to alternate watching movies/playing games on, but we each have our own 22" when we're not entertaining guests. technically, if we doubled the amount of DVI cables we owned, we could make this work, but being able to use the motherboard's outs (we have a collection of everything BUT dvi) would allow us to use the crazy-long, shiny VGA+audio cables that came with the TV.

i'm not super literate in this stuff yet, but i do have one other port in my GPU besides DVIs--it's smaller than the HDMI, but larger than my smartphone's "mini-hdmi"-type-deal, so i'll admit i've no clue what it is. i believe i can solve this problem by buying one more VGA-to-HDMI adapter, running the VGA to the TV and the adapter to my card, to mimic the same cord-setup for my primary monitor. that just seemed very unclassy and inefficient when i had several other video ports of varying types and the cables to go with them.

thanks for your response. this problem really is more trivial than i felt it was a few hours ago, i suppose, but this newb appreciates your help :)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

It's a setting in your UEFI bios, it allows you to use BOTH your video card and the iGPU at the same time.

That port is a Mini-HDMI port, if you look under the details tab at newegg for your card it lists it as a connection type. The card should also have came with a Mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Here is the manual page on iGPU settings.

I zoomed in a bit on the screenshot and highlighted the area of concern.

eIjyR.jpg

Primary Display set to PEG

iGPU Memory set to 64mb or even 128mb depends on how HD runs on it.

Render Standby is a power saving feature enable it if you wish

iGPU MultiMonitor set to Enabled.

Boot into windows and install the Intel Graphics drivers. Then configure it for your TV.