[SOLVED] Video output becomes faulty after installing GPU drivers. What is the source of the problem?

D

Deleted member 2829896

Hello, a couple of months ago I had assembled my first PC and everything was running great until recently where my video output would produce some abnormalities. It was a few days ago while I was playing a game when I started to get visual artifacts that covered both of the monitors I had connected.

Here are the components that I was using:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (w/ stock cooling - AMD Wraith Max CPU Cooler)
  • MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
  • GPU: MSI RX 580 8G ARMOUR OC (Used)
  • PSU: GIGABYTE B700H 700W 80+ Bronze
  • Primary Monitor: AOC C24G1(1080p, 144hz - connected with Display Port)
  • Secondary Monitor: Acer R241Y (1080p, 60hz - Connected with HDMI)
I had not made any changes to voltages, clock speeds, etc. I've only gone into the BIOS to update the BIOS and to correct the RAM frequency. I had also installed MSI Afterburner for my RX 580 to enable and adjust the fan curve.

Earlier today I had also tested this system with a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB G1 Gaming (Used). And similarly to what had happened with the RX 580. After installing the GPU drivers from GIGABYTE's website and then preceeding to load a video or launch a game, I would be presented with visual artifacts; followed by the video output freezing; then the video output dropping out altogether.

Then afterwards I tried the RX 580 on another system but using the same PSU (because the other PSU I have doesn't have an 8-pin PCI-e cable), but it the outcome was the same

Please note that I had used DDU to provide a fresh environment to install the NVIDIA GPU driver.

At first I thought the RX 580 was on its way out as it was pre-owned (same goes for the GTX 1080), but after seeing the outcome of the GTX 1080, now I think perhaps something else is contributing to the problem.

Any suggestions or questions to help resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated as my technical knowledge is limited.

Also, I believe all of those parts that I have listed are eligible for return and I can get my money back, but it has to done before the end of the month.

Regards

Solution
Damaged GPU RAM can cause artifacts. When handling the graphics card, or any computer component, make sure you practice anti-static procedures. Ground yourself before touching any card to drain any static electricity that may have built up when you walked across the carpet or pet the kitty, and keep yourself grounded while handling the card. Try to hold the card by its edges and avoid touching any chips or metal parts of the card. Although it's possible to successfully install a card in the computer without being grounded, all it takes is one little zap and you've fried the GPU RAM or something else inside the case.
Make sure you have the power connectors hooked up correctly to the graphics card. Some cards require one or two power...
D

Deleted member 2829896

Hello again guys, quick update.

So recently I fiddled about with the PSU I am using by trying the spare PCIe cable and the other PCIe socket on the PSU. Again, nothing had changed.

Then I had the idea to check the voltage outputs and here were my findings:

BIOS Voltage readings appear normal.

Within the OS using HWMonitor:
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-AysbkPOz7uAZD.jpg

As you can see the 12V value within the OS reads well out of the tolerance range. Could this be a faulty PSU? Is HWMonitor reliable? And are my motherboard sensors reliable?

Anyway I decided to test HWMonitor on a different system, with a different PSU, but I couldn't hook up any GPU because there are no 8-pin PCIe cables for it. The 12V reading is within tolerance, but the 5V is not.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Also, say the PSU 12V is faulty, could that be the cause of the artifacts, video freezing and losing video output?

D

Deleted member 2829896

Does it only happen during gaming or the entire time ?
So when using the RX 580, after installing a driver for it, the artifacts appear straight away and worsen when I load a game or open an application that has 3D elements, etc.

With the GTX 1080, after installing a driver for it, artifacts do not appear straight away. But, if I load a game, or a video, or an application with 3D elements. Artifacts would appear much stronger than the RX 580, then after a few seconds the video output would freeze, and eventually I would lose video connection, prompting a restart of the system.

In short, artifacts appear the entire time for the RX 580, and no for GTX 1080; as the artifacts arise when load starts being put on to the card.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
So when using the RX 580, after installing a driver for it, the artifacts appear straight away and worsen when I load a game or open an application that has 3D elements, etc.

With the GTX 1080, after installing a driver for it, artifacts do not appear straight away. But, if I load a game, or a video, or an application with 3D elements. Artifacts would appear much stronger than the RX 580, then after a few seconds the video output would freeze, and eventually I would lose video connection, prompting a restart of the system.

In short, artifacts appear the entire time for the RX 580, and no for GTX 1080; as the artifacts arise when load starts being put on to the card.
Let's not assume the worst scenario case, here is what you need to do first :

Install a different driver version for each card and if the problem persists, then try them on diffrent motherboard or if you have another spare GPU, you could try it .

Last edited:

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Damaged GPU RAM can cause artifacts. When handling the graphics card, or any computer component, make sure you practice anti-static procedures. Ground yourself before touching any card to drain any static electricity that may have built up when you walked across the carpet or pet the kitty, and keep yourself grounded while handling the card. Try to hold the card by its edges and avoid touching any chips or metal parts of the card. Although it's possible to successfully install a card in the computer without being grounded, all it takes is one little zap and you've fried the GPU RAM or something else inside the case.
Make sure you have the power connectors hooked up correctly to the graphics card. Some cards require one or two power connections.

Solution

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Hello again guys, quick update.

So recently I fiddled about with the PSU I am using by trying the spare PCIe cable and the other PCIe socket on the PSU. Again, nothing had changed.

Then I had the idea to check the voltage outputs and here were my findings:

BIOS Voltage readings appear normal.

Within the OS using HWMonitor:
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-AysbkPOz7uAZD.jpg

As you can see the 12V value within the OS reads well out of the tolerance range. Could this be a faulty PSU? Is HWMonitor reliable? And are my motherboard sensors reliable?

Anyway I decided to test HWMonitor on a different system, with a different PSU, but I couldn't hook up any GPU because there are no 8-pin PCIe cables for it. The 12V reading is within tolerance, but the 5V is not.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Also, say the PSU 12V is faulty, could that be the cause of the artifacts, video freezing and losing video output?
Artifacts is the gpu that's either damaged or overclocked. Basically corruption in the ram. If the psu is bad unit it can damage the hardware. PSUs don't cause artifacts.