video output problem - not sure what is broken

db1101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hi,

I had a power cut the other day and I have a feeling that it has damaged something in my computer.

The first few times i turned it on after the power cut, the initial screen displayed (the one through which it is possible to access the bios) but windows didnt load. Now nothing displays at all when i turn the computer on.

I tried a different screen and cable which i know to be reliable with no result. I then thought maybe the power cut triggered thr bios settings so i tried removing the battery from the motherboard and replacing it after 5 minutes to reset the bios settings to default - also with no result . I tried tripping the cmos pins(took the plastic casing of the two lefts pins, putting it on the two right pins and then back) in case for some reason replacing the battery hadnt reset the bios settings to default - still without result

I am quite stuck for ideas.
I have an Asus M2N4-SLI motherboard

Thanks in advance

Dan

Solution
Apologies for the alte reply!

Do you have the cable to your monitor/TV plugged into the GPU or motherboard? If you have it plugged into the motherboard, nothing will be displayed as the GPU ovverrides the on board graphics. If you have it plugged into you GPU, try removing the GPU and plugging your monitor into the motherboard.

Ideally, when removing hardware or fiddling around inside your PC, you need an anti-static wrist band. However, if you simply earth yourself to the case by touching some exposed metal for a few seconds then this will get rid of the static in your body. I assume you know how to remove a GPU? If not let me know and I'll guide you through it. =)

keffit

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I had a similar thing happen a while back, though it may not have any similarities to what is wrong with yours.
We had a lightning storm and a power out, and when the power came back on the computer next to mine on the same power board cranked up no worries, mine had a hissy.

It's just a process of elimination. Do the mainboard led lights come on when you try to start it? Do the hard drives sound like they are powering up? do you get any lights or reaction at all?
Have you tried unplugging the power cord from the psu, turn it off it it has a switch on the back and pressing the start button on the pc to discharge power. That is suprisingly effective in so many situations :/
Do you have a graphics card or is it running off the mainboard?
Remove all extra cards (sound/modem/network/graphics/ram) from the board and see if it will boot on its own.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
+1 to the above suggestions. This is a very sensible and ordered way to do things.

If nothing powers up at all, then you have simply burnt out your PSU. If the motherboard LED's come on, then your graphics adaptor may be shot. Just work in a logical way around the PC until you limit the problem. For more help check back here. =)

db1101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick replies .I tried unplugging the power cable from the psu and discharging -unfortunately didnt work. As far as i can tell the motherboard only has onr LED light - is this the norm? It is on when i start up and also when power is present even if the computer isnt booted. The hard disk seems to start fine - i can hear it when i turn the computer on ( i think i can but its kinda overpowered by the sound of the processor.)   I have a graphics card but since I have reset the motherbosrd to its defaults wouldnt rhe computer be booting off the graphics installed within the motherboard?   The next stage is removing the parts. I am slightly concerned with fiddling about - is it ok just to remove the parts with hands? Sorry i just dont know much about the hardware side of things in this regard.   Thanks   Dan

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Apologies for the alte reply!

Do you have the cable to your monitor/TV plugged into the GPU or motherboard? If you have it plugged into the motherboard, nothing will be displayed as the GPU ovverrides the on board graphics. If you have it plugged into you GPU, try removing the GPU and plugging your monitor into the motherboard.

Ideally, when removing hardware or fiddling around inside your PC, you need an anti-static wrist band. However, if you simply earth yourself to the case by touching some exposed metal for a few seconds then this will get rid of the static in your body. I assume you know how to remove a GPU? If not let me know and I'll guide you through it. =)

Solution

db1101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I recently started another thread here. I forgot I had made this thread as I (kinda) solved the problem. It has arisen again under a different set of conditions:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1936934/gpu-problem-seemingly-illogical.html

This I solved by just unplugging the hard drive and re-plugging it in... very strange. Anyway, @grebgonebad, I can't seem to find a port by which I can plug the screen straight into the motherboard.... There is a port which looks very much like a VGA one, but the VGA cable certainly doesn't plug into it. (I know how to unplug the GPU, yeah). I have been thinking I need to get a new GPU just to test whether that is the problem as I have been given high priced quotes from computer repair shops. All I need is a spare GPU to test whether that is the problem or not. What your suggesting though would be perfect, if it is somehow possible to plug it straight into the motherboard. There is only one standard of VGA, right?