Video "pause" problem,I need some advice

G

Whenever I am involved with a game using opengl or direct3d my system has these sporadic 3 second lockups that happen about once every 3 minutes, sometimes more frequently...this is what I have in my system:
- Asus a7v (apollo kt133 via chipset, socket a)
- Athlon (thunder bird, socket a) 800mhz
- linksys 100 mb ethernet
- SB PCI128
- Winfast Geforce 2 GTS (32mb)
- 128 mb PC133 memory
- Windows 98 SE
I have literally tried everything to solve this little annoying problem, changing to nvidia's detonator reference drivers, using leadtek's up to date drivers for the winfast, changing the motherboard's bios settings, flashing my video cards bios with a new one, trying several different pc133 memory modules...NOTHING SEEMS TO GET RID OF THE PAUSE! Really weird problem if u ask me. Has anyone else experienced this?

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I'm pretty far from being an expert in this field but have you took a look at your IRQ ? Maybe it has something to do with this...

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Install via 4n1 drivers choosing the "standard mode" setting to see if this takes care of the problem then report back.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I had a similar issue with my PC during online gaming. I also experienced it when I was browsing the net. It started happening when I got a new mouse. Of course you see where this is going. The new mouse was a USB Intellisync, the old one was a ps/2 Intellimouse.
I noticed that the lock ups would came mostly when the network cards were under heavy use.
I had suspected the USB and PCI netcards were conflicting, but I had never heard of such a thing.
Last week I read someone's post (sorry dont remember where) about USB ports and PCI slots sharing resources (what exactly I dont remember, someone here could give a sermon, im sure). I was glad to see someone show me the tie I had suspected.
To fix my problem, I moved my USB mouse back to the PS/2 slot (usb adapter) and disabled the USB device (I don't have anything else USB)

After that I have had no troubles with 1-5 second lockups.

My system is quite a bit older though.

pII 300
Linksys netcard
USB Mouse
enough said.

G

I don't use usb because usb devices are weird =)

The installation of the via agp 4in1 drivers in "standard" mode didn't do a thing. At first I thought it worked, but then the freezes started to occur as normal. ARGH!
None of my IRQs are conflicting by the way. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I need a suggestion. Maybe its just a defective videocard/motherboard/some other part...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by soniq on 04/11/01 03:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have almost the same setup and have the same probs. I was told just today that I might try going into the directx dia and turning down my sound acceleration to normal instead of max. I think it has to do with the irq's or share of. Are you using the pci/usb/card that came with the m/b? I'll post my results if you have not figured it out yet? if you have please post it so that i can fix my damn cpu...:)

Thanks,
Jacob