Video Playback Lag

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hi everyone,

it's been some time that I've been experiencing micro-lags during the playback of 720/1080p mkv movies (not all of them)
It can be best noticed in the parts of the movie when there's a lot of movement. If I stop the movie and play this part again, the lag is still there. It's not the file's fault because there are movies that I used to watch without any problems some time ago(the same file)

CPU: i7 920 2.6 @stock speed
GPU: HD6950 @ stock speed
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 (It used to be 6GB but one module broke)

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack + MPC

I'd like to know what could be causing this and how could I try to fix this annoying problem.

Thank you in advance,

Siq

Solution
You should also install VLC (don't setup as default). If the problem still exists then it's a software issue somewhere else.

Most likely issue is the video player or linked decoding software.

*There are TWO main way to decode movies:
1) CPU (software) decoding
2) GPU (hardware) decoding

If the GPU is supported for that codec (i.e. H.264/AVC, MPE2 or VC1) and you also have the DXVA setup in your settings in the video player for hardware decoding it will use your graphics card.

You should try toggling this on and off.

You can tell if it's doing hardware decoding by right-clicking-> "filters" (MPC-HC). It will say "MPC Video decoder" (as opposed to something like "ffdshow video" for software decoding on the CPU.)

**Also, CCC for my...
You should also install VLC (don't setup as default). If the problem still exists then it's a software issue somewhere else.

Most likely issue is the video player or linked decoding software.

*There are TWO main way to decode movies:
1) CPU (software) decoding
2) GPU (hardware) decoding

If the GPU is supported for that codec (i.e. H.264/AVC, MPE2 or VC1) and you also have the DXVA setup in your settings in the video player for hardware decoding it will use your graphics card.

You should try toggling this on and off.

You can tell if it's doing hardware decoding by right-clicking-> "filters" (MPC-HC). It will say "MPC Video decoder" (as opposed to something like "ffdshow video" for software decoding on the CPU.)

**Also, CCC for my last AMD card was enabling Advanced Video decoding (such as flesh tone) that really screwed up my video look (grainy etc). I disabled all the Advanced Video in the Catalyst Control Center.

Software decoding doesn't utilized the Advanced Video features.

SUMMARY:
- try VLC as well
- try toggling hardware acceleration ON and OFF

Solution