[SOLVED] Video playback worse after graphics card upgrade?

Aug 15, 2020
Hi, I just upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to a Radeon RX Vega 56 but actually my video playback performance got a lot worse. Now, playing a 4K video can take 50% CPU. (My CPU is only an i3-4160, but before the upgrade I could play 8+ videos simultaneously and my CPU stayed around 20%.) This happens whether I use VLC or the "movies" app. In VLC, switching the "hardware decoding" setting on and off makes no difference.

Before installing the graphics card I uninstalled my old NVidia driver with DDU and turned off Windows update. I have the latest driver (win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.8.1-aug4.exe) and restarted my PC.

My PSU is a Gigabyte P650B.

Any suggestions? I'm happy to provide extra info.

EDIT: GPU usage is around 15% when the CPU maxes out. And Windows task manager shows "Video decode" as 0% for my GPU.

Last edited:
Solution
You should compare the results against the old GPU, otherwise it doesn't provide an answer for any performance gain.

What about games - does it perform better than the old GPU ?

For what use do you need to play 8 videos simultaneously ?
Aug 15, 2020
Thank you for the reply Grobe. I've never run a benchmark before but just installed Heaven (not sure if this is the best benchmark to use) and here are my results:

FPS: 40.7
Score: 1026
Min FPS: 7.7
Max FPS: 98.9

Platform: Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model: intel core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60Ghz x2
GPU model: Intel HD Graphics 4400 20.19.15.4531/Radeon RX Vega 22.19.676.0 (4095MB) x 1

Render: Direct3D11
Mode: 3840x2160 fullscreen
Preset: Custom
Quality: High
Tessellation: Disabled

Is there any other information I should provide?
Thank you!

You should compare the results against the old GPU, otherwise it doesn't provide an answer for any performance gain.

What about games - does it perform better than the old GPU ?

For what use do you need to play 8 videos simultaneously ?

Solution
Aug 15, 2020
Thank you, OK I will reinstall the old GPU and run a benchmark. Is Heaven a good benchmark to use, or do you suggest a different one? I don't use this computer for games. I need to play several videos simultaneously for an art project.