Video problems on games on XP

milosz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I had a bunch of older games I want to play, and getting them to work on Windows 10 was proving impossible, so I bought a copy of XP-pro 64-bit and built a machine to run XP and run my games. Machine is an i7 2700k with 8 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GTX-750ti

XP runs great but the games don't work properly, the screen during the game flickers madly and there are lines on the screen and parts of the game's screen like the frame and the button to PAUSE etc are corrupted... I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers for XP64. I have tried adjust the HARDWARE ACCELERATION in control panel / display / settings / advanced and this helps a little but the games are still unplayable.

If I use the motherboard's built-in Intel video the games tend to work, but they do not work with the NVIDIA card. Please someone suggest stuff to try or maybe steer me to another forum someplace where I might find a solution.....

THANKS!!!!!

How do I get

Solution
I think your GPU is too new. You have an win8 era card trying to run XP. Worse, XP64bit. Which had horrible driver support. I would honestly grab an XP era card, perhaps a GTS250 or other such card and see if you can trade your XP64 for a normal XP 32. Driver support is much better.

4745454b

Titan
I think your GPU is too new. You have an win8 era card trying to run XP. Worse, XP64bit. Which had horrible driver support. I would honestly grab an XP era card, perhaps a GTS250 or other such card and see if you can trade your XP64 for a normal XP 32. Driver support is much better.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
I think you'll have better luck getting a strong performing common card during XP's reign. I've been wanting to get a laptop with good gaming internals to load XP on so my XP gamer is mobile. I like to get together with my friends and play the games of old so this is what I'm looking for. Haven't figured out what I want yet, but I know it's not going to have a GTX970 in it.

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I'm thinking there might be an issue with the card. (bad capacitors, heat warping, etc.) I have a GTX760 (yes, i know, not exactly a 750 ti) in one of my XP64 computers and haven't experienced any issues.

milosz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I pulled the GTX 750ti out of the machine and am using the integrated Intel HD3000 graphics. Games display as they should now, up to resolutions that are reasonable for XP games. (And one game I play - Thandor - was originally a Window 95 game!)

I play RTS games and the integrated graphics capability seems good enough for those.

Maybe it was a problem with the XP drivers for the GTX750ti card, or maybe the card is faulty. It might even be that the power supply is too small- I'm using a 350 watt Seasonic, which SHOULD be enough according to PSU calculators I've looked at, but maybe it is NOT enough.

Anyway, the integrated graphics work just fine with all the games I've loaded so far, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks for helping me think this through.