Video Ram and cards

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
So I have no opinion on which is better at gpus, AMD or Nvidia. I will most likely stay at 1080p gaming and so i was looking at the rx480 8gb and the gtx 1060 6 gb. The reason i am afraid of not having enough vram is because i have a great gtx 960 which is overclocked however the vram is 2gb and it takes a major toll on a lots of games i like to play which are open world, Arma, Gta etc.

Here is my current build, The kaby lake 7600k replaces the skylake one.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a White/Black cpu cooler for under 30£ id love to hear it!

Solution
If a 960 is serving you fine, then there's certainly no harm in waiting.

Reading your post though, it doesn't sound like the 960 is doing what you want....so waiting might not be worth it.

There's always something 'just around the corner', so if you need/want to upgrade now, go for it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
VRAM is not the 'be all, end all' for games - especially not at 1080p.

VRAM is one component, but the 6GB or 8GB are unlikely to be exhausted on any title at 1080p, but the additional VRAM allows developers to utilize some of that going forward (and allows you to game at higher resolutions currently).

The 1070 is a great card for 1440p or 1080p @ 144Hz, otherwise either a 6GB 1060 or 8GB 480 would be ideal choices.

As for the Black/White cooler, with Cryorig not shipping to the UK officially (you can email them and they'll send you one, you just pay the conversion/import/shipping).... I don't have any suggestions there.

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

Do you think I should wait for VEGA?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If a 960 is serving you fine, then there's certainly no harm in waiting.

Reading your post though, it doesn't sound like the 960 is doing what you want....so waiting might not be worth it.

There's always something 'just around the corner', so if you need/want to upgrade now, go for it.

Solution
It's hard to predict needs because it's not just about memory, there's processing power to think of. Even if you had a 4gb 960, you'd still have 960 levels of processing power. Instead of running a game at 45fps medium settings you could run 45fps high settings, but you're still at 45fps either way.

When the day comes that you will say "Wow, games require 8gb of vram now" do you think an RX 480 will still be relevant from a processing power standpoint? I don't.