Video Ram Motherboard

May 9, 2018
My GPU is a gtx 1070 ti and haves GDDR5....my ram is a G skills Ripjaws v series 16gb with DDR4..will it still work with my gpu being GDDR5 and ram being DDR4? Oh and I heard that my cpu is not compatible with my motherboard and recommend I should get a z270 motherboard. (I have a z170a motherboard.) But my ram says its a Intel z170 desktop memory model. Will my ram work on a z270 motherboard?

Solution
OK there are a few options you have to help save your self some money.

1. if you know someone with a 6xxx series or older CPU that is compatible with your board you can ask them to borrow it to update the BIOS on your Z170 board.

2. You can purchase the cheapest CPU you can find that is compatible with that board and install it to update the BIOS to allow the 7xxx series to be compatible and then sell the cheap CPU to recoup some of the money

3. Send the board back to manufacture, for a price, and have them flash the BIOS chip to the newest BIOS for you. You may find that option 2 is cheaper than this.

or finally 4. purchase a a Z270 motherboard. This is the most expensive option.

I would recommend borrowing a friends CPU to...
The GPU memory will not affect the rest of the system because only the GPU uses the Vram so it is compatible with DDR4 memory.

As for the CPU not being compatible with the motherboard we need to know what CPU you are going to use in you Z170 board.

the memory should be compatible with your motherboard and CPU but this depends on the the memory controller and the board itself. If the memory you have is on the Z270 memory QVL it will work for sure But if it is not then there is a possibility that there will be compatibility issues.

May 9, 2018

Intel Core i5-7500 LGA 1151 7th Gen Core Desktop Processor (BX80677I57500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZZJ1P0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8MW8AbT5YZVB8
This is the link for the cpu I have and I tried with the z170a motherboard I have. The ram I have is a Intel z170 and my motherboard is also a z170. But some guy told me to get a z270 motherboard cause it will be compatible with the cpu I listed above. He told me to get a z270 board or get a 6xxx series cpu and use it on my board to update bios then I can use the 7xxx series cpu that I have.

May 9, 2018

So what you think I should do? Get a new motherboard or a new cpu?

OK there are a few options you have to help save your self some money.

1. if you know someone with a 6xxx series or older CPU that is compatible with your board you can ask them to borrow it to update the BIOS on your Z170 board.

2. You can purchase the cheapest CPU you can find that is compatible with that board and install it to update the BIOS to allow the 7xxx series to be compatible and then sell the cheap CPU to recoup some of the money

3. Send the board back to manufacture, for a price, and have them flash the BIOS chip to the newest BIOS for you. You may find that option 2 is cheaper than this.

or finally 4. purchase a a Z270 motherboard. This is the most expensive option.

I would recommend borrowing a friends CPU to flash the BIOS but if this is not an option Buy an i3 or Pentium CPU the lowest that is compatible with your motherboard, flash the BIOS and put the i5 7500 in and sell the i3 for as much as you can get for it. this will be the cheapest way of updating the BIOS to be compatible with the 7xxx series CPU's.

EDIT: WHat BIOS version is installed on the Z170 board? if it has already been flashed to teh newest BIOS or BIOS compatible with the 7xxx series then there is no need to update them.

Solution
May 9, 2018

How do I check what bios version is installed to my z170? And okay thanks for helping out with the cheap cpu

You can look on the BIOS chip on the board since many of them have a sticker saying what BIOS version it came with. This only works if the board is brand new and has not been updated. Other than this you would have to start the PC to find out. Have you tried the CPU in the board yet to see if it works? IF it does not boot then the BIOS needs to be flashed. Beware though once you use the CPU cooler you will need to clean the CPU and cooler off and reapply thermal paste. This is needed every time the CPU cooler is removed. TIM is cheap usually around 5-8 bucks for a small tube that can do 5-10 applications and lasts a long long time.

May 9, 2018

Its not gonna work. I've tried taking off one ram stick and tried moving them to different dolts and i took all of them off and it didnt work. I tried removing my gpu and moving the gpu to a different slot it didnt work. I tried taking off the battery and using a screw driver to jump the motherboard it didnt work. And I've tried to rebuild it again. So yeah. I knew it was gonna be the mobo, or the cpu just wanted to make sure.

May 9, 2018

Okay so on my motherboard there's a white label on it between the ram slots and the usb header and 24 pin slot. Is that where the bios version at?

May 9, 2018

Sorry if I'm not getting any of this. I'm new to this so

May 9, 2018

If you were wondering my motherboard is a msi z170a gaming m3

If you have tried the i5 7500 already and it didn't boot then the bios are older and need to be flashed so the version you currently have will not matter. You are now left with either putting an older CPU in to flash the BIOS or send it out to be flashed.

It's OK you ask questions, this is how we all learned and this is why we share our knowledge to help those that come here for help.

May 9, 2018

Ok guess that's what imma have to do then. So when I do put in this i3 cpu into my motherboard...do I have to unplug and take everything out before I put in the cpu? And thanks dude. I really appreciate you helping me out and being patient with me.

Be sure to disconnect the power cord from the PSU. Other than this nothing needs to be removed unless you need the room to fit your hands in there. IF you do not have an anti-static wrist strap or anti-static pad to work on I recommend touching a grounded appliance like the fridge, stove, toaster, anything that is grounded and metal to discharge yourself of any static electricity your body may be carrying around. This prevents any discharge from you to the components.

EDIT: you can also touch the screw to a light switch cover if you're not building the PC near the kitchen. How many times have you been zapped turning the light on or off? Rhetorical

May 9, 2018

Okay will do. I feel like that's everything I need to know. I'm going to order the i3 next Thursday when I get paid and I'm going to work on it and keep you updated on how things went. I appreciate your time man. I can't wait to finally get a display on my monitor.

May 9, 2018

Okay so when i update bios...do I download the latest bios file or what?

It depends on the motherboard. Some will auto download it for you, some have a tool on the utility disk to help with downloading and installing it. Read the manual, read the FAQ section and the web page for your board to find out how to install your particular BIOS. There is to many ways that manufactures let you update the BIOS for me to give you the answer without doing exactly what I just mentioned to do.

Most time you do have to download it from the manufactures page for your board BUT from there it differs on what to do with it. Some you need to put in a specific place on the drive and on some you use a flash drive ect., like I said to many for me to know off the top of my head.

May 9, 2018

Yeah I watched videos on how to do it. I think I got it now. But this link imma show you is the msi website for me to get the bios. Look at the one that says version 7978vAC. Is that yhe bios file I need?