Video Render Is Slow - Suggest Graphic Card For Core 2 Duo E4500 -- Intel 82945G Express chipset

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hello,

I want to know which Graphic card will work with my current configuration:::::::::

• Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz
    2GB DDR2 Ram (667 - 2 slots)
    Intel 82945G Express chipset - Graphic card in-built
Purpose: My purpose is to try my best not to go for new PC and if possible then stick with my current PC by going for little cost-effective upgrade because my work is going smoothly except 2 things

Issues: 1. Currently When I render the 720px video (which is hardly 6-7 mins long) it takes 10 mins time, may be as I don't have graphics card, I want to render fast in less time.

2. When I open anyone's Google+ page my CPU loads go high (which is quite ok because this is for CPU is meant) and system gets slightly hanged (which is a problem) and takes time to let me scroll down or write any comment. in case, if I open 4-5 Google+ pages simultaneously then browser gets hanged for around 30-40 seconds and cpu loads goes 100%, not sure why does it happen?

Someone suggested me if I upgrade to 4 GB Ram and also go for Graphics card then I can easily get over from these 2 issues. I can buy a ram and graphic card but not sure will it resolve the issue completely because graphic card cost a lot and If I buy any graphic card (compatible with 82945G Express chipset then in near future) then most probably it won't work with new PC (in case if I buy a new PC in near future)

Looking for your help :)

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Sure, but before I let you know. Is there a way to check to make sure my MOBO supports 4GB Ram.
FYI: Currently I'm using 2 slots of 1GB Ram of Kingston (667) and my mobo has only 2 slots so I havr a plan to buy 2 new ram's of 2Gb each (667) but right now trying to check how much my mobo supports. I don;t have manual etc.. because vendor didn't give me any of these things. Any software can do this work?

what motherboard or computer do you have?

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

I have Intel's Desktop Motherboard D945GCPE

ok you cannot add more ram the max supported ram for that mobo is 2gb. additionally you can not add any reasonable gpu into it because that mobo lacks pci-e lanes. you are either stuck with that or will have to start a new computer build.

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Alright, as far as PCI slots are concerned my mobo has 2 slots, I can click th pic and show you, if you want to but even then the biggest question is RAM can't be upgraded.

So can you just cross-check the specification once again for PCI slots before I finally make up my mind for new computer build.

2. When I open anyone's Google+ page my CPU loads go high (which is quite ok because this is for CPU is meant) and system gets slightly hanged (which is a problem) and takes time to let me scroll down or write any comment. in case, if I open 4-5 Google+ pages simultaneously then browser gets hanged for around 30-40 seconds and cpu loads goes 100%, not sure why does it happen?

Question: When you open 4-5 Google+ pages, open task manager. Is the 2 GB limit of your RAM being exceeded OR is only your CPU reaching near 100% usage. If it's not exceeding your memory, then perhaps there is a pluggin in your browser that is wasting CPU cycles. If you run the below google query, you'll see how to selectively disable pluggins. But just to be clear, if your usage is exceeding 2 GB, then my proposed solution will not help. I would also suggest running msconfig to disable unnecessary items in your windows startup. What version of Windows are you running? Windows XP 32 bit? Regardless, this is how you run msconfig: hold <windows key> + press r -> msconfig <enter> -> startup [tab] -> uncheck items and click ok. Please be aware that it'll prompt you to reboot your system, for the new settings to take effect. Make sure to save all your work.

google query: google chrome cpu intensive

pci lanes are different then pci-e lanes. yes your mobo has two pci lanes but the only gpu you will be able to put in those are ancient and weak.

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

>Is the 2 GB limit of your RAM being exceeded
No, RAM consumption remains pretty much at decent level, only the CPU reaches 100% usage.

I use Windows XP 32bit and latest ver of Firefox

>I would also suggest running msconfig to disable unnecessary items
When I ran the query the popup window has appeared http://s10.postimg.org/kfot7wikp/msconfig.jpg
and the 1st option is checked

You can't use more than 4G of RAM (2G on yours, but 32-bit allows 4G). Increasing it will reduce render time, but really, your system is outdated, and I don't recommend running Windows XP as it's unsafe and unstable.

Rendering using a graphics card won't take over the work that the CPU is doing. It will only affect effects that can be rendered using the GPU, if none are used, then not even 1 second faster render times.

*** msconfig ***

>I would also suggest running msconfig to disable unnecessary items
When I ran the query the popup window has appeared http://s10.postimg.org/kfot7wikp/msconfig.jpg
and the 1st option is checked

Understood. Now look at the menu's at the top. The option "Startup" second from the extreme right, please click that option. The page that displays should have check boxes next to every item that loads as soon as WIndows boots up.

*** Firefox add-ons ***

This page shows as to view and disable add-ons in Firefox. Please review them.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Lastly, could you please look into my MOBO configuration again and let me know can I use 1TB HDD (most probably I'd go for 1 TB WD BLACK CAVIOUR).
FYI: I already use 500GB (WD Green CAVIOUR).

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Lastly, could you please look into my MOBO configuration again and let me know can I use 1TB HDD (most probably I'd go for 1 TB WD BLACK CAVIOUR).
FYI: I already use 500GB (WD Green CAVIOUR).

a 1 tb drive should work with no issues on that board

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Thank you so much :)

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

You're lucky :)
I had no idea back then that I'd be in the need of PCI Express.
I searched online and you're right, till this date it's easy to get PCI express card but hard to find PCI DDR2 card, but I'd continue looking for it, may be I'd get it.

Thank you

You don't need a DDR2 card, you can easily put a DDR3 one or even a GDDR5 one on that board, but the problem is the PCI slot. No modern-day graphics cards are made for PCI; it's too slow. It was slow even in those days; back then they used AGP for graphics cards.

I think the only use for PCI now is for relatively slow peripheral devices, such as NICs(or LAN cards).

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Thank you for your wise thought, I really appreciate that.
I hope I'd get PCI card with at least 512MB or 1GB if possible - I'll search for it, I know it's just a little drop & noone cares about it but for me this little drop will make the ocean.

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Not sure, you genuinely want to give a suggest to help me or trying to pull my leg, BTW I don't believe in charity.
I will build my new PC whenever I feel like, with my own money.

The reason I'm sticking with this PC, because my work is going almost smoothly (and I'm already in the process of new PC based on my requirement for my 2nd job) and also I don't become fool just like others with false propaganda of tech companies which release a new model every now and then and create hype and some less sensible people get caught up in their false perception that buying new PC/upgradation will change their life and they waste their invaluable money without giving it a thought.

I value for every dollar I make.
Anyways thanks!

It's not like that, really.

You must have heard of Moore's Law, that hardware speed doubles every 18 months, similarly there's its counter, Wirth's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law) which states that speed of software halves every 18 months. That means, companies need to release faster hardware constantly to keep their customers' experience as good as possible, or no one would buy from them and they'd go out of business.

Those who have money also want to be on top of their experience as well, and you can't blame them. Sometimes it becomes very important, don't ask me why.