Video streaming massively slows internet

Brad123127

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Ever since I moved in Dec 2014, video streaming causes massive slowdowns in my network. Simply put, that's the problem. More specifically, 2 things are the problem: YouTube videos and iMessenger. We don't use iMessenger very often, but it slows the internet even more than YouTube does. Want to see what happens when a YouTube video is loaded? Ok:
1. Games are kind of unplayable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBorFs8OCNk&feature=youtu.be
2. Pinging google.com in cmd looks like this: http://imgur.com/TfecOKu

That cmd pingtest thing usually gives me around 30-50ms. Spamming "ping google.com" sometimes gives me something like this:

Reply from 216.58.199.46: bytes=32 time=2394ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.199.46: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.199.46: bytes=32 time=3021ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.199.46: bytes=32 time=2955ms TTL=55

There's a clear outlier there: the second line, 44ms. This only happens once every 10 or so pings, but it does happen. I found that quite weird.

The internet is almost ALWAYS fine when I'm the only one in the house. There's the occasional spike to 100 ping or so, but that's fine. Something else I noticed recently is that whenever I have a constant 400ish ping, I can disconnect my brother's computer from the internet, and it will go back down, even if he has no programs open at all (even in task manager > processes).

When I'm home alone, and after the YouTube-watchers are in bed, I can watch YouTube without any problems with my ping. It will go a bit higher (from 40 ping to 60 or so), but not to the multi-thousands.

Sometimes loading a webpage will spike my ping well into the hundreds, but it goes back down almost instantly.

I also get some choke and loss spikes about twice a day each, up to about 50% choke, and 75% loss. I once reached 100% loss, without losing connection, which surprised me.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Brad123127

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
Over the past few days, I tried some things. I first downloaded AVG, scanned for viruses, found none, turned it on. Didn't help. Turned it off. Didn't help. Turned it back on, and turned my firewall off. Didn't help. Turned it AND my firewall off. Didn't help. Uninstalled AVG and turned off my firewall. Nope. Streaming videos slows the internet regardless of virus protector or firewall.