Sep 15, 2022
I been having trouble getting a stable video streaming at HD quality. I have gigabit connection FiOS down and up. When I check my internet speed it shows just that but for some reason i can't seem to load videos. I thought it was bandwidth or faulty ethernet cord so i tried to connect this ethernet to another computer and load a video and it worked perfectly fine. Also noting that if I go on WIFI on my computer although the speed drops to a quarter or half was it's max capabilities all videos stream seamlessly. I can't seem to figure out what the problem with my computer is and haven't seen anyone with this exact problem before either.

So if you run speedtest on ethernet it is fine and gets the full gigabit rate ?

Pretty much the only reason you need very high speed data rates is to download large files. If all you do is watch online video it only uses maybe 25-30mbps so really most people would have no issues with a 100mbps connection.

Generally this is some software package in the pc. One very common one is called CFOSspeed and it comes bundled with the bloatware in some motherboards and video cards. Bad cables or drivers etc generally show up on speedtest also.

This problem can be a number of thing but if it works fine over wifi it might be easier to just use wifi, all depends if it causes issues for other things.

Sep 15, 2022
Yes, If i run a speedtest on ethernet it get the full gigabit rate. It should be something software or hardware related in my computer but i can't seem to locate the source of it. The speed which I used to get for gaming has been reduced along with increased packet loss and latency as a result of switching to wifi.

Not sure what you mean the speed you get for gaming. Most online games user well under 1megabit/sec. Packet loss will though cause issues.

You could leave a ping run to your router IP which would show if you have some cable or driver issues but I doubt you will see anything.

video streams and online games are very different types of traffic so it is hard to say why you would see issues in both.

Sep 30, 2022
Made an account to follow-up on this issue.

I am having the exact same issue where I have Verizon FIOS and my ethernet is unbearably slow to load videos but wifi seems to load them fine. This occurred from 9/23/22 in NYC.

**Edit
I figured it out. Verizon just pushed out IPv6 in my area and in the off chance that you are using an Intel NIC for your ethernet, Verizon's IPv6 doesnt play well with Intel NICs. Disable your UPD IPv6 TCP checksum offload in your Intel NIC driver advanced settings (refer to link below for screenshots if unsure) and it should solve the issue.

Credits to this forum post:
https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/youtube-buffering-horrible-quality/td-p/919082

Last edited: