Video Teaser: Tom's Hardware Revisits Intel vPro Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmaugTD

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The Anti-Theft technology's laser shooting commissar could enhance my small-business by over 100%.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Yay , an software that keeps monitoring my computer even if i shut it down , which actually does not get shut more like a deeper standby , i wana jump in , oh wait anyone one else heard of the magic packed (Wake On standby) and an Windows tasks scheduler with tight VNC or any other VNC.

A Real IT would never compromise his client computers , with a backdoor , he prefers doing stuff the hard ,clean,.manual way.

G

Doesn't anybody chack the videos before uploading? The audio is extremely low on this one. It's disgusting to watch poor work such as this.

michealPW

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
This sounds all well and fine, but what happens when script kiddies are exploiting all these brilliant "features" ?

Some of these "features" are horrific. I read on Wikipedia that in many cases, these CPU and Chipset-based features cannot be disabled :|

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]emad_ramlawi[/nom]Yay , an software that keeps monitoring my computer even if i shut it down , which actually does not get shut more like a deeper standby , i wana jump in , oh wait anyone one else heard of the magic packed (Wake On standby) and an Windows tasks scheduler with tight VNC or any other VNC.A Real IT would never compromise his client computers , with a backdoor , he prefers doing stuff the hard ,clean,.manual way.[/citation]

True. Although Intel is trying to market a way for small biz to eliminate/minimize on any needed IT; or they see an advertising opportunity to impress an unknowing business owner to paying for this. They have wrapped this up in an attractive package and might sell it somewhere.

Yes, WOL and magic packets with a fork of VNC with encrypted viewing and file transfer easily do this (or just use encrypted VPN).

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Here's a great catch phrase for this product.

"Buy Intel vPro. We promise we won't give the NSA / CIA the backdoor to your PC's, unlike the other guys!"

This tech can do great things for IT shops, but If you are going to use out of box remote management tech, make sure you actually use all of its security features or you are only hurting yourself.

If you don't setup strong BIOS passwords and use drive encryption, then this may not be the tech you are looking for.

G

...some of the comments.. woah. "give the NSA/CIA the backdoor"? These technologies are not meant to be routed to the internet, these are meant to be used in an intranet -_-

And magic packet + VNC can be enough for your puny street corner IT shop but you DON'T WANT to manage 5500 terminals (what am i doing now) with it.

Fleet Management is a huge part of IT in the Enterprise, and you can only do it with the proper tools, What's the serial number of that machine? Oh the user said it's stuck at the bios, how do you check what's wrong without physically being there? You need to put the asset tag in the bios or the faggy HP machine won't boot, how do you do it? We want outsource helpdesk people to be able to manage the workstations without access to the main vlan, how do you do it?.

vPro/AMT is a godsend in this regard. And in the enterprise there is no such thing as privacy, our proxy even flags offenders that try to get to dodgy sites.

I'm amazed at the amount of armchair heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.