VIDEO: The BlackBerry PlayBook Versus the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
The PlayBook is shaping up to be a very promising device. The only con I really see with it is that the screen looks like it may be too small. Time will tell.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]No matter how much people want Flash to go away it's not going to happen anytime soon. Could it be Apple doesn't like Flash simply because it's products can't handle it well as it pertains to battery life? The only thing Apple has going for it is battery life since it's products are underpowered and way overpriced. I've used an iPad and don't like it..it's to big for my tastes. I'll be getting a Playbook.[/citation]

Flash sucks and it kills performance and battery life. I've never once wished I had flash on my BlackBerry and disable flash on any of my desktop or notebook browsers.

Having said that, I would still like to have the option because I am forced to use flash on occasion while I wait for the rest of the uncivilized developers to adopt their websites to html5. I don't play games.

G

Flash is a memory hog and a pest -- designers who abuse it should be forced to work in a room full of wasps so they realise how it feels to be distracted and annoyed.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]No matter how much people want Flash to go away it's not going to happen anytime soon. [/citation]

Too True. Also, the fact is flash its-self doesn't pose any problems, it's the overuse of animated ads on various websites. You can eliminate the ads and have only the desirable content with Firefox and adblock+ (or similar for other browsers that have ad blockers). Apple blaming flash for the problem seems kinda like ford blaming Goodyear for potholes to me.

In the end, who cares if apple users don't get rich content on the web. They can use lynx for browsing for all I care. Imagine how much battery life an ipod would have if you eliminated all that battery draining image rendering too!

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]No matter how much people want Flash to go away it's not going to happen anytime soon. Could it be Apple doesn't like Flash simply because it's products can't handle it well as it pertains to battery life? The only thing Apple has going for it is battery life since it's products are underpowered and way overpriced. I've used an iPad and don't like it..it's to big for my tastes. I'll be getting a Playbook.[/citation]

Or could it be that you don't know poop from chewy chocolate?

Flash WILL be overtaken by HTML technology very soon, within a decade is my prediction.

Do you see how slow and sluggish the Flash is on the Playbook? Grow up and learn something, will you?

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]Or could it be that you don't know poop from chewy chocolate? Flash WILL be overtaken by HTML technology very soon, within a decade is my prediction. Do you see how slow and sluggish the Flash is on the Playbook? Grow up and learn something, will you?[/citation]

Just because it may be overtaken in a decade doesn't mean that devices made now shouldn't support technologies that used in the majority of websites now. Gotta keep up with the present and not just the future.

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I'm a bit skeptical, in my experience with the iPad webpages load much faster than demonstrated here...is it b/c of the flash?

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom] I've used an iPad and don't like it..it's to big for my tastes. I'll be getting a Playbook.[/citation]
Good for you man! You go and get that Playbook :)

G

Playbook looks way to small, I prefer the 10" iPad anyday when it comes to using the tablet for anything more than a video on an airplane....

1024x600 was a stupid resolution to use in NetBooks and it is still stupid in tablets. EPIC FAILURE!!!!

Using the classic trick where you compare the speed of a beta product with a product released months ago, classy there Rim. I am quite sure that if that iPad would be running latest greatest beta/alfa from Apple result would be different. Like comparing apples and piers.....

and yes, you completely sold me on flash with that sluggish performance...or NOT, I am sure that batterylife likes flash to! but I do agree that there are websites (even if 2 many of them are harder to use and doesn't get the message thru) and videos out there using flash and the Skyfire webbrowser for iPad are a success .

A "Playbook", what is that? Something I buy for my Nephew 2nd bithday? Epic name there Rim!!!

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I can tell you the Java Script is god awful on the iPad - i tested it for a site i built for a friend. That being said, it doesn't look fluid on the playbook either - smoother, but not great.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Flash on PLaybook is laggy like hell.... I wouldnt brag much about it if I was RIM. Just because it can do something, doesnt mean that it should do it...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]spda242[/nom]Using the classic trick where you compare the speed of a beta product with a product released months ago, classy there Rim. I am quite sure that if that iPad would be running latest greatest beta/alfa from Apple result would be different. Like comparing apples and piers.....

A "Playbook", what is that? Something I buy for my Nephew 2nd bithday? Epic name there Rim!!![/citation]

I would say that it is unfair to compare these products because the Playbook is in beta and has not been optimized whereas the iPad has had months for performance-improving drivers to come through. Yet it still loses to a device that is physically smaller.

Also if you don't know what a playbook is then you probably aren't RIM's target market. A playbook is a book that coaches write their plays and tactics in, so a playbook is actually quite valuable. Now let's contrast that with whatever the heck iPad is meant to mean...

Cool, but if it takes much longer it may be too little too late. You're already going to see dual core devices for Android by the end of the year and I'm sure even faster updates and continuous improvement to the Android OS could leave that Blackberry behind. If they launch that now it looks like they will certainly be a step ahead of the Galaxy tablet, but if they wait many of those Android issues will have been addressed and an even faster iteration of the tablet may come out. Blackberry can't afford to wait much longer on this.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Someone needs to plug in that ipad;
It might be running low on its internal supply of the bunnies, unicorns, hugs and rainbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.