Video upgrade recommendations 939 mb

rvt1000

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Hello all and thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about upgrading my desktop to be able to play Crysis and otherwise pump a few more years out of this system. So I'm soliciting opinons.

Currently it's a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce4-SLI socket 939 MB, Athlon 64 CPU and 1GB Ram. When I built this system I was rather budget limited and went for a 6600GT SLI set up. One of the 6600's blew a fan and now I'm down to one really outdated card. I will update the RAM to 2GB and was planning (if I can find one) dropping in an X2 CPU.

Since the "new" CPU is still pretty dated what would be the best video card to match these specs? No sense of overspending on a card that would be bottlenecked by the CPU. I would like to keep the cost under $400 (pref $300) including the new cpu, memory, and video.

Other than gaming the system runs great for day to day tasks so I'm going to keep it another 2-3 years. At that point I'll build a completely new one.

Thanks again.

What power supply are you using?
The usual PSU recommendation for a 9800GT is 400watts and a 4830 is 450watts. You can get by with a less powerful PSU - but it better be a pretty good one.