Question "Video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error" while playing games on my Acer Aspire laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2021
So every time I play a game after like half an hour or so, my game crashes (blue screen giving the error VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR or force stop), then when I relaunch the game my fps is lower than 10(unplayable), or the window crashes. Then the Nvidia graphics driver is not available(in device manager), then I restart my laptop Nvidia driver comes back and when I play my games again the same problem is happening after an hour of playing the game. Or, sometimes I am doing my work then also it crashes.
I have tried:
  • reinstalling the graphics driver from Acer.
  • removing the graphics driver using DDU in safe mode and reinstalling the latest one while windows update is paused and windows defender is disabled.
  • updating drivers from Nvidia.
  • formatting windows. (removed all my files and did a fresh install like a new laptop)
Drivers, Bios, and Windows is up-to-date.
I don't use any third-party anti-virus like McAfee.

None of the above methods helped.
My laptop is out of warranty so don't suggest me to take it to Acer service center as they will just say to replace the motherboard, I know that and that will be like buying new laptop.

My laptop is Acer Aspire 7 A715-75G
Specs -
i5 9300H
Gtx 1650 4GB gddr6
16Gb ram
512Gb SSD
Windows 10 home single language

Aug 30, 2021
I would also download and use cpuid hwmonitor monitor your gpu's temperature and see if it gets hot and then shuts down while gaming.
not the gpu temperature rising but the cpu temp is about 90'C after switching the laptop on.

this is the ideal temp after switching the laptop on, ss link-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f1lmuwaLwXCrets7egkI8BhJZX6PKiT5/view?usp=sharing

before game crashing ss link -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kiv4OyJNWJpu_jwyunFthf3Wd_YNvKVi/view?usp=sharing

when the game crashes ss link -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvEwlQpuTywdD0jJ_wy7_Eqz9pPqexxc/view?usp=sharing
After the restart it again shows pcie x16 gen3, but playing for sometime it crashes and shows pcie x0. Temps are also high.

dxdiag run command is showing no issue found in display1 and display2 but if the game crashes it is only showing display1, not display2 but after the restart, it again shows both displays with no issue found.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021
So the cpu temps are those at use or at rest?
At rest.
I think I should check the thermal paste as my motherboard was once replaced by acer under warranty infront of me because of keyboard issue (windows key and option key was not working so they changed the keyboard first but the problem was not fixed, so they changed the motherboard it fixed the problem). But I saw that the technician didn't apply adequate amount of thermal paste, used the old one that was left on the heat sink of the cooler.
After the motherboard replacement I didn't faced any issue while playing games, when my laptop's warranty expired it started giving me problem

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021
Yes those cpu temps at rest are not acceptable. It should be more like 33/34 c at rest. That would explain the shutdowns under use .
Waiting for thermal paste and pads to arive.
But I don't understand, why i am getting graphics card issue (BSoD - VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR) if my cpu temperature is high.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021
I am guessing here because it's hard to tell without sitting in front of the computer, but if your cpu is overheating then there is no signal to utilize for video so it shuts down.
I had changed the thermal pads and paste, now my temps are completely normal around 60°C under load but then also after sometime I am getting bsod VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR after enabling nvidia driver from device manager and also one time I got "dpc watchdog violation", what should I do please suggest me, I don't want spend money to replace my motherboard.

Aug 30, 2021
So is your gpu a 1650 or 1650 TI? It makes a difference in drivers. Ok so uninstall Nvidia drivers, go back 1 or 2 updates and try those. Also try going in to Admin Windows powershell and running sfc /scannow. See if it can repair anything else.
1650 notebook, 1650ti driver is not compatible. I tried other versions also, same problem. Ran sfc scannow it found something and it repaired it but I think it didn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.