Question VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (I swear I have tried everything)

Feb 23, 2022
I've looked everywhere I can and I just can't seem to solve this issue.

PC Specs:
  • i5-11600kf (NO OC)
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3060 VENTUS 3X 12G OC
  • MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus (BIOS is updated)
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • 16GB ADATA XPG Z1 (3200 // In slots A2 and B2)
  • Kingston SA400M8240G (Boot Drive)
  • 1 Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Black CPU Air Cooler
Things I've already tried:
  • Clean install of windows
  • DDU to reinstall GPU Drivers
  • New mobo
  • New GPU
  • RAM tested with memtest86
  • Stress test for temps (CPU hit a max of 73C and GPU 61C)
  • Fast startup is off/power plans changed
  • SFC Scan
This started last year towards the end of the year. I originally had a EVGA RTX 2060 KO and an ASROCK Z590 c/ac motherboard when this issue started. I changed out the GPU and the issue persisted. Tried the original GPU in a friends PC and he has had no issues. I then changed out my mobo to the MSI one. Issue still persists. I changed out the PSU from an EVGA 600 to Corsair RM750x and the issue still persists. I have clean installed windows twice. I have ran DDU multiple times. I have health checked the drives and they are all good. RAM passed memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic. I also ran the intel diagnostic on my CPU to confirm it was not the CPU. Today I recieved 3 of the VIDEO_TDR_ERROR while on desktop. I have logged 38hrs on a game on this new set up without an issues until today. Temps in game were fine.

This is the latest dump:

• Bugcheck Analysis *

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffd28e08e38010, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT).
Arg2: fffff8073810cfe8, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag).
Arg3: ffffffffc000009a, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation.
Arg4: 0000000000000004, Optional internal context dependent data.

Debugging Details:
------------------

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdig.inf_amd64_48a94de4b861e2fb\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2

KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1

Key : Analysis.CPU.mSec
Value: 2015

Key : Analysis.DebugAnalysisManager
Value: Create

Key : Analysis.Elapsed.mSec
Value: 3116

Key : Analysis.Init.CPU.mSec
Value: 265

Key : Analysis.Init.Elapsed.mSec
Value: 2901

Key : Analysis.Memory.CommitPeak.Mb
Value: 97

Key : WER.OS.Branch
Value: vb_release

Key : WER.OS.Timestamp
Value: 2019-12-06T14:06:00Z

Key : WER.OS.Version
Value: 10.0.19041.1

FILE_IN_CAB: MEMORY.DMP

BUGCHECK_CODE: 116

BUGCHECK_P1: ffffd28e08e38010

BUGCHECK_P2: fffff8073810cfe8

BUGCHECK_P3: ffffffffc000009a

BUGCHECK_P4: 4

VIDEO_TDR_CONTEXT: dt dxgkrnl!_TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT ffffd28e08e38010
Symbol dxgkrnl!_TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT not found.

PROCESS_OBJECT: 0000000000000004

BLACKBOXBSD: 1 (!blackboxbsd)

BLACKBOXNTFS: 1 (!blackboxntfs)

BLACKBOXPNP: 1 (!blackboxpnp)

BLACKBOXWINLOGON: 1

PROCESS_NAME: System

STACK_TEXT:
ffffbe8cbb1e72d8 fffff80733ef663e : 0000000000000116 ffffd28e08e38010 fffff8073810cfe8 ffffffffc000009a : nt!KeBugCheckEx
ffffbe8cbb1e72e0 fffff80733ea6c34 : fffff8073810cfe8 ffffd28e04d448e0 0000000000002000 ffffd28e04d449a0 : dxgkrnl!TdrBugcheckOnTimeout+0xfe
ffffbe8cbb1e7320 fffff80733e9f76c : ffffd28e04fcc000 0000000001000000 0000000000000004 0000000000000004 : dxgkrnl!ADAPTER_RENDER::Reset+0x174
ffffbe8cbb1e7350 fffff80733ef5d65 : 0000000000000100 ffffd28e04fcca70 0000000000000002 ffffd28dfe9dd620 : dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::Reset+0x4dc
ffffbe8cbb1e73d0 fffff80733ef5ed7 : fffff8071cb25440 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000300 : dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x15
ffffbe8cbb1e7400 fffff8071c0b86c5 : ffffd28e06c51040 fffff80733ef5eb0 ffffd28df70ce2a0 ffffd28d00000000 : dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeoutWorkItem+0x27
ffffbe8cbb1e7430 fffff8071c155a05 : ffffd28e06c51040 0000000000000080 ffffd28df7096040 0000000000000000 : nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x105
ffffbe8cbb1e74d0 fffff8071c1fea08 : ffffab0078f40180 ffffd28e06c51040 fffff8071c1559b0 0000000000000246 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x55
ffffbe8cbb1e7520 0000000000000000 : ffffbe8cbb1e8000 ffffbe8cbb1e1000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 : nt!KiStartSystemThread+0x28

SYMBOL_NAME: nvlddmkm+e2cfe8

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

OS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR: vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {c89bfe8c-ed39-f658-ef27-f2898997fdbd}

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Also from Whocrashed:

On Wed 2/23/2022 6:23:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022322-5671-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8073810CFE8)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFD28E08E38010, 0xFFFFF8073810CFE8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdig.inf_amd64_48a94de4b861e2fb\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 511.79
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 511.79
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 511.79 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

At this point I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Would appreciate any help.

Ralston18

Titan
"I have ran DDU multiple times. "

That seems to be a constant as I understand your post.

Try manually downloading the drivers, installing the drivers, and doing your own configuration.

Meaning no third party installers or apps.

Ensure that you are getting the video drivers directly from a Nvidia website. Not website with "Nvidia" somewhere in the path ( URL) name.

Side note: Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for similar errors.

Feb 23, 2022
"I have ran DDU multiple times. "

That seems to be a constant as I understand your post.

Try manually downloading the drivers, installing the drivers, and doing your own configuration.

Meaning no third party installers or apps.

Ensure that you are getting the video drivers directly from a Nvidia website. Not website with "Nvidia" somewhere in the path ( URL) name.

Side note: Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for similar errors.

Every time I have ran DDU to see if a complete cleaning of the drivers and reinstall would fix I have manually gone in a downloaded the drivers from NVIDIA (I disabled windows automatically installing and I also don't install the geforce experience.)

I have also checked Event Viewer and it is the same error each time across two different mobos and gpus: nvlddmkn.sys error. I haved rolled back to previous drivers and same issue.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022
Make and model monitor?

Connectivity: PC /GPU [Port} ---- Cable -----> [Port} Monitor? VGA, HDMI, DP?

Some monitors have their own drivers vs using generic Microsoft Monitor drivers,

What drivers are shown via Device Manager > Monitors?

Monitor is Acer XF273S and the driver is the XF273S driver from their website. GPU > Cable > DP

Ralston18

Titan
Took a deeper look at the link you provided in your original post:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...nvlddmkmsys-nvidia-corporation-videotdrerror/

There are quite a number of ideas and suggestions being offered.

E.g., disable XMP.

Going back a bit, however, try rolling back to an earlier driver version and manually install it yourself., No DDU.

I am fairly convinced that it is a driver error but getting the problem and possibly other related issues cleaned up may take some effort.

Did you try DISM?

Also moving thread from Systems to Graphics: Hopefully someone else will take a look at this thread and offer other ideas and suggestions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Use Msi Afterburner and bump power limit 1-2% and/or lower the clock/memory on the gpu. While binning the chips often means plenty of room to move for them during GpuBoost3 algorithms, occasionally the chips are set right up next to max ability and the GpuBoost3 can tip them over the edge of stability. Adding a little more power or limiting the default OC settings can sometimes solve that.

Reactions: Ralston18
Feb 23, 2022
Took a deeper look at the link you provided in your original post:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...nvlddmkmsys-nvidia-corporation-videotdrerror/

There are quite a number of ideas and suggestions being offered.

E.g., disable XMP.

Going back a bit, however, try rolling back to an earlier driver version and manually install it yourself., No DDU.

I am fairly convinced that it is a driver error but getting the problem and possibly other related issues cleaned up may take some effort.

Did you try DISM?

Also moving thread from Systems to Graphics: Hopefully someone else will take a look at this thread and offer other ideas and suggestions.
I have disabled XMP already and tried that. I have rolled back to an earlier driver sans DDU before and still had the issue. Also did DISM and there was no corruption.

Feb 23, 2022
Use Msi Afterburner and bump power limit 1-2% and/or lower the clock/memory on the gpu. While binning the chips often means plenty of room to move for them during GpuBoost3 algorithms, occasionally the chips are set right up next to max ability and the GpuBoost3 can tip them over the edge of stability. Adding a little more power or limiting the default OC settings can sometimes solve that.
I've just bumped down the clock settings on the gpu to see if that would work.

Feb 23, 2022
Do you have Norton/Symantec software or Corsair iCue software? Both of those can cause a 116 error, although that's kinda rare.
Negative. I've already replaced Mobo, GPU, PSU so it is none of those. I am in the process of buying a new kit of RAM to see if that is it. I tested them one at a time booting and going into a game and I tested them with memtest and no errors but at this point I am just having to replace components to see if that fixes the issue it seems like.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your minidump is saying it was a driver error. Something is causing nvlddmkm to crash. That could be a ram issue, cpu issue or even a storage issue, but it's doubtful it's a motherboard or much else. Most likely it's software related.

All of your games are legit purchases correct? None are pirated or gray market copies? Sometimes there's stuff introduced in those, especially Trojans, that can have adverse reactions. Even something as simple as game installation while anti-virus is running can cause the game to glitch.

If it's consistently a VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSOD, it's unlikely to be RAM related (I'd expect to see more random things crashing). Generally, VIDEO_TDR BSOD's tend to be almost exclusively GPU related, either due to drivers, something conflicting with the drivers (Afterburner, etc.) or physical issues with the card.

If you've tried a different GPU, then I'd suspect some other piece of software is conflicting somehow. Is there any specific application that causes issues, or is it just generally unstable?

Feb 23, 2022
Your minidump is saying it was a driver error. Something is causing nvlddmkm to crash. That could be a ram issue, cpu issue or even a storage issue, but it's doubtful it's a motherboard or much else. Most likely it's software related.

All of your games are legit purchases correct? None are pirated or gray market copies? Sometimes there's stuff introduced in those, especially Trojans, that can have adverse reactions. Even something as simple as game installation while anti-virus is running can cause the game to glitch.
All games are legit copies.

If it's consistently a VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSOD, it's unlikely to be RAM related (I'd expect to see more random things crashing). Generally, VIDEO_TDR BSOD's tend to be almost exclusively GPU related, either due to drivers, something conflicting with the drivers (Afterburner, etc.) or physical issues with the card.

If you've tried a different GPU, then I'd suspect some other piece of software is conflicting somehow. Is there any specific application that causes issues, or is it just generally unstable?
This was a consistent issue on 2 different GPUs. A EVGA 2060 and a MSI 3060. They both have been put in a different system and have not caused any crashes. No specific program that I can tell that is crashing the system. It is really just generally unstable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try running ccleaner (piriform.com), use it in default configuration. Use the cleaner tool, and also the registry tool (say YES! to backup). Trying to find driver/software conflicts is worse than trying to find a single needle in half a dozen haystacks. But crap in temp files, registry orphans, dead ends, incorrect addressing etc can cause all kinds of issues.

Feb 23, 2022
Try running ccleaner (piriform.com), use it in default configuration. Use the cleaner tool, and also the registry tool (say YES! to backup). Trying to find driver/software conflicts is worse than trying to find a single needle in half a dozen haystacks. But crap in temp files, registry orphans, dead ends, incorrect addressing etc can cause all kinds of issues.
Ran ccleaner and the PC rebooted when I was analyzing. Got it back up and ran both cleaner and registry.

Yeah, this is sounding like something is conflicting with the GPU/Drivers.

Just to clarify, your not getting any other BSOD's or any other system instability?
No other instability that I can really tell. Only thingis my boot time is slower than it used to be. It's literally just I'm doing something on the PC and boom black screen, restart. Could be watching YT, could be playing a game, I was using excel the other day, it was sitting at the desktop not doing anything. It's random and I can't make it replicate. I ran furmark earlier for 15min with no issue. I quit and it's sitting at desktop for like 5min and boom black screen, restart.

Last edited:
This is an odd one, that's for sure. The fact you replaced both the GPU and RAM (the most likely culprits) complicates things a bit.

Assuming all settings in BIOS are set correctly (especially in regards to RAM), I'm almost tempted to suspect the motherboard itself as it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. I guess a final test you can run (even if it hurts performance) is to try putting the GPU in a different physical slot; might want to do that with the RAM as well (eg, the other matched slots). Outside of that I'm out of ideas; between a clean install of the OS, and swapping both the RAM and GPU, I'm out of ideas.

Feb 23, 2022
This is an odd one, that's for sure. The fact you replaced both the GPU and RAM (the most likely culprits) complicates things a bit.

Assuming all settings in BIOS are set correctly (especially in regards to RAM), I'm almost tempted to suspect the motherboard itself as it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. I guess a final test you can run (even if it hurts performance) is to try putting the GPU in a different physical slot; might want to do that with the RAM as well (eg, the other matched slots). Outside of that I'm out of ideas; between a clean install of the OS, and swapping both the RAM and GPU, I'm out of ideas.

Well the motherboard has been replaced at this point. I just got new RAM the other day and we will see if that is possibly the issue. At this point the only thing not having been replaced is the CPU and the M.2 boot drive.

jclaumann

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
Hey there Scallywops, I had a similar problem a while ago, random black screens and video_tdr_error on top of the memory dump stack.
I read the thread and since it didn't mention hardware acceleration I might as well mention it just in case, just bare in mind I'm no expert.
According to some threads on the NVidia forums the RTX30xx have some issues with power management, when a software tries to use hardware acceleration the power consumption lowers for that and somehow can't go back to where it was before and crashes.
What worked for me was:
  • Turn Hardware Acceleration OFF on everything you use, Discord, Steam, Battle.net, browsers, etc (you set that in each individual software);
  • Turn off GPU Scheduling (available on the window s graphics configuration, needs most recent windows version);
  • Make sure your driver is set for maximum performance (NVidia control center, power management);
  • Change the windows power plan to high performance.

These configurations worked for me but it may not work for you, I hope it helped though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
multiple GPU, multiple mb, its got to be something you not replacing

conflicts are possible cause.
what USB items are you plugging in? what peripherals have you got?

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
video tdr isn't a typical driver error I see on Nvidia gpu.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it only stops programs running at start up, it doesn't remove any. Easily reversed

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I doubt it will help but its worth a try.

Feb 23, 2022
multiple GPU, multiple mb, its got to be something you not replacing

conflicts are possible cause.
what USB items are you plugging in? what peripherals have you got?

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
video tdr isn't a typical driver error I see on Nvidia gpu.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it only stops programs running at start up, it doesn't remove any. Easily reversed

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I doubt it will help but its worth a try.

Only USB items plugged in are mouse and keyboard, both are steelseries. I do have Lian Li fans whose controller shows up as a USB device but that is all.

Minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbkc5g04rljcgsj/Minidump.zip?dl=0

As of now I have replaced everything except the CPU and the M.2 I use for my bootdrive. This morning I turned on the PC. Opened steam. PC did the same black screen, restart, but booted into bios. Then I exited bios and it loaded up the desktop.

I will do the clean boot later as I am just getting off work and see if that helps any.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feb 23, 2022
did you try the suggestion made by guy above me?

is this common at startup?

try turning this off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
might reduce need for restart

I will ask a friend to convert dumps, he will post in several hours as he likely asleep now.

Not common at start up. This is the first time it has done it at start up. I've also never had it boot into bios after a restart. Fast start up is already turned off. I also did just do what the guy above you suggested.