video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys blue screen sony vaio

nikki3935

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
I use a VAIO SVE1513BYNB, with the AMD HD 7650M graphics card, on Windows 10, 64 Bit.
CPU: i3 3210M, RAM: 4GB, Driver Installed: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (currently)

While working the screen started flickering, then the PC crashed, leading to Blue Screen: VIDEO TDR FAILURE, atikmpag.sys
After that I wasn't even able to boot up, it resulted in an immediate Blue Screen.
Using DDU in Safe Mode, I managed to uninstall the graphics driver and boot up normally. But when I tried to update the driver via windows update => blue screen again. I tried the same, using a driver I downloaded manually from AMD, same result.
I tried resetting windows completely. Only to find out that the problem is still there. After booting, only the windows basic display adapter is installed. And eager to install the proper driver, windows update keeps crashing the PC.
I managed to stop Windows Update doing anything. Now I sit here with a half usable PC, because every attempt to fix crashes it immediately.
Things, I tried with no luck:
multiple versions of drivers (Catalyst 15.7.1, Crimson 15.9.3 Beta)
updating Chipset Drivers
extracting the AMD Driver with 7-zip, installing via Device Manager
updating BIOS
sfc /scannow => nothing found

popatim

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nikki3935 : "Video tdr failure atikmpag.sys Error and blue screen"