Videos won't play, even offline

stebbinsd

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
When I load a youtube video, the first frame will appear on-screen, but it won't play beyond that.

Even if I try to play videos offline using Windows Media Player, the videos will only play at around 1 frame per second and I don't hear any sound.

Restarting the computer fixes this problem for a time, but the problem always manages to re-surface.

How do I fix this problem for good?

Solution
Well, having experienced similar issues myself in times past, and having read what you described, that is my advice. It could potentially be a hardware issue (although i doubt that) It is most likely a software issue.

The answer I gave will take you all of about 5 minutes to implement. If you wish to understand further why codecs have problems or sometimes stop working, then have a look on google. There is a lot of info there, and simply too much for me to relay here, or for that matter to try and give you the answer that you want (and by that I mean some in-depth explanation). I'm not an expert on Codecs or their functionality.

Try the solution if you wish, or don't! It's up to you.

Edit: Unfortunately, trial and error is often the...

stebbinsd

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

How do you know that would fix the problem?

Honestly, I was hoping to get some tips on how to diagnose the source of the problem, e.g. some log or command prompt or something I can look at to get a more accurate diagnosis than just describing the symptoms.

I would honestly prefer to get this right the first time. I don't want to have to constantly do trial and error until I find something that fixes the problem. I already said that I have a means of fixing the problem temporarily.

Well, having experienced similar issues myself in times past, and having read what you described, that is my advice. It could potentially be a hardware issue (although i doubt that) It is most likely a software issue.

The answer I gave will take you all of about 5 minutes to implement. If you wish to understand further why codecs have problems or sometimes stop working, then have a look on google. There is a lot of info there, and simply too much for me to relay here, or for that matter to try and give you the answer that you want (and by that I mean some in-depth explanation). I'm not an expert on Codecs or their functionality.

Try the solution if you wish, or don't! It's up to you.

Edit: Unfortunately, trial and error is often the only way to figure out some issues.

Solution