ViDock Gfx: 2 Hi-Res Monitors for Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

a 6pack in

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
thats a nice work around for 3d graphics on laptops. but at the 429 price tag plus the price of a 8600gt or a 3870.. thats getting pricy.

its a valid option, but one that a normal user should think twice about.

nice write up

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
"If your integrated video chipset doesn’t support DHCP, or doesn’t accelerate decoding, it’s not going to play Blu-ray movies."

Amazing how far DHCP has come over the last few years... Looks like it's already replacing HDCP :)

cleeve

Illustrious
Call of Duty 4 is so much easier on hardware, I prefer to concentrate on stuff that will really challenge it like Crysis and SupCom so we have a worst-case scenario.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There are several interesting points here. The fact that card compatability is dependant on chipset type is interesting but not really shocking. It's (sort of) similar to the hybrid SLI and Crossfire capability of the 780 series chipsets and the way the chipsets support specific GPU series. It sounds as though another header or bus type is needed to fully support the concept. The expresscard/USB bus was the holdup a year ago and it appears to still be the main bottleneck. I'm curious to see if AMD's PUMA platform or Intel's version (forgot the name) will show us something in this area. Am also wondering if one of the laptop OEM's might offer the external card setup for specific models of their computers. Will be interesting to see what others are doing. Haven't heard anything at all from ASUS since early last year.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
would it be possible to run crossfire/sli with two of these things? (largely out of curiosity, twould be insane to actuall sensibly do it...) That way wouldn't you have 2 seperate pcie 1x bandwidths to play with/

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I see two things here that really limit the power of this device. First is the bandwidth. Chipset manufacturers will need to introduce some sort of "mobile express" port option with significantly more juice - something that I just don't see happening, especially considering this device is intended for existing/older notebooks. Second, in order to get the extra graphics horsepower you need an external display, something that will set you back at least another $300 for wuxga. Now we're at $729.

If you've already got a laptop with upgradeable mxm graphics, you can upgrade to a better card for much less than that, and still use the laptop's display. Even better, if you've got an SLI laptop, that money could buy you a 2nd 8800M GTX.

In my opinion $729 is a waste of money when $2149 will already buy you a nice Toshiba X205-SLI6 model notebook with dual 8600M GT graphics cards. Better value, better performance and much better looks.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
^ I'm agreeing with you in that it can't be backwards compatable. It's just not going to work well that way. We need a new interface. Let's just hope it doesn't take as long as the "n" standard. Good grief - I bought into pre-n routers and cards 2 years ago and until a few months ago, there were people wringing their hands and saying that the world might end if you did that. It was the same thing going to s939. Naysayers were saying that it the upgrade from sempron was sooooo foolish and that only noobs would waste their money on such a thing. And then along came C2D and the magnetic poles of the planet changed places!!!

The technology is evolving and it's evolving in multiple dimensions. I'm a little disapointed in Toms'. They just seem to be reporting instead of actually doing something. How about actually getting out a soldering iron and creating electron paths? What do you think guys - actually develop hardware .. what a concept!

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The real solution for people who want to play games on a laptop is to get a laptop with a DECENT graphics card at the get-go, meaning splurge on a $2000+ machine from HP or Alienware if you are going to want to play high-power games.

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Just buy a new Dell with the dedicated 8600m gt video card... they are going for less than a grand now, and actually do run games pretty well.

johnlove

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I think I am better off spending $2,000 on a laptop with 17" screen & 8800gt built in, than on a $1,500 laptop w/15" screen + $429 ViDock Pro + $400 video card.

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
sorry, no 8800gt in laptops. There are GTS models and GTX models though. I've seen setups from Toshiba and Gateway go for under $1400 with an 8800m gts. Gaming on laptops is A LOT cheaper than it used to be.

proctopus

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
for that 429$ price why don't you just build a cheap gaming pc with an 8500gt or so? it actually works with most operating systems. I feel that very few people are going to buy this but the one's who are really need it.

Nice to see you got the review up.
Was getting worried there for a while. >B~/

Nice to see the HD acceleration, I'm wondering if the 100% spikes aren't something to do with something else going on in the background. I see those every one in a while when testing and it's always some other app getting twitchy because Vista's doing something.

Still seems very niche, like for the ultra-light portables where there is no option possible for something even GF8600M/MHD2600 level to be added something like a MacBook Air or Toshiba 500. But for the general public, best to just sell your old laptop and buy a cheap mid-level one.

Nice review as usual, next stop LASSO and an HD4870X2! >B~)

psansbury

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I don't want to assume that this entire discussion is gaming only. There is another device out there that has been OEM tested and works great in adding additional monitors to a laptop-even a ThinkPad(just disable Presentation Director)
usb2dvi video adapter allows you to add an additional monitor per adapter up to 6 additional screens in addition to the 2 normally supported by the laptop. Either DVI and/or VGA through a USB hub and/or direct connection.
It is 2D only.
http://www.colorgraphic.net/products/MobileVideoDevices.html

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Would have really liked to have seen this compared to a laptop with a built in 8400M GS or 2400Pro.

This thingo + Hybrid SLI (or whatever it's called where you combine integrated with dedicated) would be a big winner.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I'm wondering if an external Pcie interface connextion for the PUMA and Montevidea platforms is in the works. Or perhaps, next generation. The 780g platform allready handles the decoding and has hybrid crossfire. Sounds like all that's missing is the interface connection.

G

Hi!

I ask you to tell how this graphics device performs in 2D applications, such as Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, or Eclipse for software development, or Firefox. Is it super-super fast when browsing web pages in very high resolutions, like it would be on a new Mac desktop computer? I.e., you can't see any lags between when you click and when new windows are seen on screen.

It's very important to know this! For most people I think this determines whether to buy. So please check that out!

Thanks
Mikael

G

Hi!

Please tell about your experiences in 2D mode! With applications such as Firefox, Microsoft Office, Openoffice, Eclipse!

This is the most important area of use for this device.

The previous model (VTBook) lagged when changing windows having 1900x1200 screen resolution. Is there anything like this now, or, is it as nice as a newly bought Mac desktop computer would be, with multiple screens plugged in, in high resolutions? I.e., when you click some window, or scroll with the mouse, the updates you click for are immediately apparent on the screen?

Thanks!
Mikael

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS