[SOLVED] Viewing a HDD I plugged into my router

Apr 19, 2020
Hi,

I purchased a Xiaomi 3 router and love the router, I also love the smartphone app for managing the router. I have recently plugged a HDD into the router and can view it easily through the app on my phone but i can't find a way to view the files on my computer running windows 10.

I have tried installing clients provided by Xiaomi (miwifi_setup & xqpc_client) for windows but they fail to connect. I have also tried mapping the drive as a network drive but i recieve the error message "You can't access this shared folder because your organisation's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. I tried to map the drive using different credentials and entering my MiWiFi username and password but this did not change anything. I have made sure the computer I am trying to access the drive from has network discovery + file sharing activated and I have given it access privilages through the MiWiFi app as well as making sure that I have shared the folder that I am trying to access.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Sorted. The issue was caused by Guest Access in SMB2 being disabled by default. To fix run Regedit (Win + R type Regedit) and navigate to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

You can do this by pasting the above address into the navigation bar at the top.
Once there find file 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' and change value from 0 to 1 by double clicking on the item and changing the number.
You should now be able to map the drive.
Apr 19, 2020
Sorted. The issue was caused by Guest Access in SMB2 being disabled by default. To fix run Regedit (Win + R type Regedit) and navigate to
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

You can do this by pasting the above address into the navigation bar at the top.
Once there find file 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' and change value from 0 to 1 by double clicking on the item and changing the number.
You should now be able to map the drive.

Reactions: ktriebol
Solution