Viewsonic A90f question..

HawaiianGuy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Hi all

I just got the wife a Viewsonic A90f monitor to replace one that was going up, a NEC. When she plays a game like Everquest or Tropico and the game starts to load the monitor shuts off.

Anyone else have this problem with this or any other monitor. I've never seen it before.

Any suggestions on how to correct it or is it a faulty monitor. Other than the games the monitor works great.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
does your monitor actually shut down or does it simply blank out? seems strange if it really shuts down. if it blanks, it could be a game/display driver compatibility issue. it could also be resolution/refresh issue. look into your game readme/support and your card reamde/support. look for driver/game updates.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

HawaiianGuy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
She has a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 with the newest drivers. Tried several refresh rates and no change. Also tried using the generic monitor driver as well as the one for the monitor.

Next to the power switch for the monitor is the small green led that tells you the power is on. When she starts the game the monitor goes black and the light turns to brown. She then has to turn the monitor off and back on again.

I don't think I'll be buying anymore Viewsonic products.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
the brown or orange light means the monitor is in power saving mode. i think it's a computer/software problem, not monitor. one my games (virtual pool hall) did this when I tried to change the resolution. i reinstalled the game and left the rez alone, and it works.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

HawaiianGuy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Thanks compuhan. The games change resolution automatically so probably not much can be done about it. I wrote Viewsonic tech support to see what they had to say about it. I'll let you know.

HawaiianGuy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
I got mail back from Viewsonic and she said it is a resolution change problem. The solution is to make sure you have the latest drivers installed, I have the latest drivers, doesn't make a difference. I'm used to hearing this from games, not from a monitor manufacturer.

Anyway I solved the problem. Viewsonic also recommended I exchange the monitor. I did exchange it, for a Sony. Problem solved :).

Not buying any more Viewsonics and not recommending them to others either.