ViewSonic Intros $1000 Adobe Color QHD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
OMG FFS instead of 8 bit per color component like a typical display, does this give us 10, 12, or 14 bit?! I can't fricken figure it out from this article. Make up your damn minds! Plus how can we take this display seriously when it is not OLED?

It's not that hard to figure out what each number there using is when there telling you after that number...... No different than trying to read the specs of ram between timing, speed, voltages, ect.....

It's a 10-bit panel

It has 12-bit color engine

Last it has, 14-bit LUT (Look-Up Table)

Different area's of specs that tell what the monitor can do....

If you dont know what they are, it might be best if you use "nearly" everyone best friend, google.

Plus how can we take this display seriously when it is not OLED?

Maybe because some people dont care for OLED? I mean, there is still people holding on to there CRT monitors to this day.....

Seriously though, OLED is a feature some may like in a monitor but's not a requirement that should be in all monitor's.

And for a Display that is designed to be used to Editing Photo's and Video's (hence "Adobe display"), OLED might not be the best option due to some OLED displays having color balance issues....

Such as when (at least on consumer) OLED display ages that blue sub-pixel will wear out faster over time than it does an on LCD. So you'll notice blue colors fading in a few years. Either that or to allow the blue sub-pixel to age at the same rate as the red and green sub-pixel, some manufactures will make it much larger than the other 2 sub pixel, thus things could look a little more blue than it might be (if the display isn't setup correctly).

You cant have color inaccuracies at the Pro-level when your changing the look of video and photo.

Now would I get an OLED display if I had the chance? Sure thing. I myself dont do anything that requires my colors to be nearly 100% accurate and response times it far better for gaming than any LCD-LED monitor could give me.

Can I see reasons why it's not being included into monitors such as this? Yes as 1 of the reason is pointed above.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I think you mean typical THG, Duckhunt. The monitor IS 1440p, but since THG is written by 12 year olds with a 2nd grade level understanding of editing, typos like this one are the expected norm in pretty much every news post.

Akizu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
What's the big deal? Just another overpriced display... Dell U2713H gives you 27" 2560 x 1440, 99% Adobe RGB with Delta E≤2 and 6ms response time... And its actually cheaper.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Actually it does mean quad HD. They're referring to the original HD spec 1280x720. At the time this resolution was invented, 720p was still considered HD, 1080 wasn't really a thing yet.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
If you're in the market for a QHD panel:

There are a LOT of choices under $350 on ebay. Yes, they are from Korea. Some of them have 1 year warranties. Some do not. Squaretrade will give you a 3 year warranty for $50. I got one with one stuck pixel that I really have to look hard to find and it does nothing to hurt the image.

That being said, there is no reason to spend more than $500 for ANY QHD display. Every once in awhile they will go up on Dell for around that price, so if you have concerns with ordering from Asia, then wait for them to go on sale.

Also, here is a 120hz 1440p panel from an American company: http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/27-displays/products/tempest-x270oc_ag

Read the reviews. People are happy.

I want to see the mainstream market competing with these. $1089 for an inferior product is unacceptable.

j0um

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Meanwhile I've been enjoying my flawless 30'' Yamakasi panel @ 2560x1600 for less than $US 500+import duties, thanks South Korea!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Wake me up when high resolution monitors above 1080p are actually priced appropriately.

The average consumer isn't stupid enough to buy one of these monitors when they can simply buy another cheap 1080p display and get more resolution space cheaper that can also be used on a separate PC as a side benefit.

How hard can it be to make a seamless 2160x1920 display out of two 1080p displays for the manufactures and sell them for about twice the price of a 1080p display?

The rate things are going panel displays will be pushed out of the market entirely by LED projectors.

Good thing this isn't targeted at the Average consumer. :sarcastic:

10 bit panel? Does the average consumer need that?

Status
Not open for further replies.