ViewSonic Making Smartphone That Runs Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I don't like that it would be XP based. Isn't XP going to lose support soon? It is a very stylish phone, personally I like the looks of it but is it really taking a step foward? Plus at $800 I think it would be a hard sell. Unless of course the salesmen know how to talk the talk. Not me!

http://professionalmike.com

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
XP is still being sold on netbooks. I would think that it will be supported for at least the next three years, about 1 year more than the average life span of a cellphone.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
An 'intel low voltage' what?
An EEPROM? An Atom processor? A pentium 4? A core 2 quad? An I7? A LV Xeon?
Intel makes many parts, and many different types of processors.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]With the gazillion "apps" available and no WinXP for the iphone??[/citation]
Think about what you are saying. Apple putting a Microsoft operating system on one of their most successful items of all time. Apple would never do that, they are far too stuck up to do that.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Could it be possible to have completely different systems within the 'phone' to prevent XP lockup problems: ala PS2 hardware inside PS3 (1st gen) console?

What I am trying to say is: Can you keep the phone part hardware independent of the Windows XP part?

G

Windows XP is supported until 2014, however I would prefer to have openSUSE 11.2 on it. This would create a very useful device IMO.

G

Windows XP on a Smart Phone.....

I don't even want to think about it what with the small size of the screen and the tech support nightmares just trying to keep everything on it completely up to date and trying to keep Malware and other parasites of of it.

I can just see it now, go to accept a call and get a BSOD.

I should hope there would be a provision to physically connect this phone to a network so one can do a Remote Desktop Connection directly just to make tech support easier.

- Yeah, you bet I'm paranoid,
I don't even own a cell phone cause of how much I hate them

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If it runs XP then it can probably be hacked to kingdom come (hacked in the good way and bad way). Imagine not needing to buy (a crappy re-interfaced app) Doom again, or just running emulators from all of your favorite classic consoles. If you're a business person, remote into your workstation from anywhere using the native OS capabilities. I would pay $800 for XP (7 in the future hopefully) this size in my pocket without the Cell Phone capabilities.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I wasn't sure about the support so maybe it would be pretty cool then. I didn't even think about all of the applications you can run on a SLOW ASS PROCESSOR. Ugh...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Al Coholic[/nom]Windows XP is supported until 2014, however I would prefer to have openSUSE 11.2 on it. This would create a very useful device IMO.[/citation]I agree. Or at least some kind of linux distro. They have proven to be pretty useful.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Ok, now it is an 'Intel low voltage CPU'. That still leaves many possibilities. Could be a LV Xeon, a pentium IIIm, a ULV core, i960, pentium 4 mobile, and all the XScale processors (ARM). I am sure I have left out some Intel CPUs. Just guessing, I would guess the 'CPU' would be running an x86 instruction set...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So, it's an overpriced Netbook we can talk with?[/citation]

there is nothing over priced about it. Its the same price as ANY smart phone sold today.

[citation][nom]jeffunit[/nom]An 'intel low voltage' what?An EEPROM? An Atom processor? A pentium 4? A core 2 quad? An I7? A LV Xeon?Intel makes many parts, and many different types of processors.[/citation]

Are you incapable of common sense at all? i highlt doubt any of thoise cpus will be in a phone. The cpu however really irrelavent it will just likely be the same as any other smart phone.. about 700mhz could be under clocked to 500 like most others untill they realise how slow it is.

[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]If it can run XP it can run Linux or anything else for that matter[/citation]

perhaps but the reason i personaly want a xp phone is functionality. All these limited apple and linux phones out now (aka droid) are so damn limited on what i can put on them right now. I would love to see what freedome on a phone would be like with a real OS running it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]napoleondk[/nom]Flame me.WILL IT PLAY CRYSIS?!?![/citation]
Yes it will. This phone will make Crysis the best time waster on the planet.

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]gimpy1[/nom]Ha, I am reading this from the bathroom at work, on a smartphone. How did Tom's know...[/citation]
lmao same

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Are you incapable of common sense at all? i highlt doubt any of thoise cpus will be in a phone. The cpu however really irrelavent it will just likely be the same as any other smart phone.. about 700mhz could be under clocked to 500 like most others untill they realise how slow it is.[/citation]

Well, the article originally said 'an intel low-voltage', then it was cleverly edited to say 'an intel low-voltage cpu'. Still, without specifying what type of cpu, it is virtually meaningless. As I pointed out, intel makes several x86 processors, as well as ARM processors, and the i960. I am sure they make other processors as well. I am saddened that tomshardware would skip mentioning it was a cpu at all. Adding the word cpu doesn't fix the issue. Perhaps they should have said what type of cpu it was. I don't know where you got the 700mhz, as no frequency was specified...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS