Viewsonic Monitor, New XFX R9 270x 4gb - Black Screen caused by MONITOR ONLY

narfman147

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I have an issue ever since installing both a new GPU (xfx R9 270x 4gb) and Viewsonic LCD monitor ( VX2263SMHL-W). After about 30-60 mins, the screen goes black. Monitor power status color never flickered or changed color. Computer is still running, keyboard and num keys still functioning but screen is black. First thing i did was replace my 550W (6 years old) with a new Corsair 750W. Next, I rebuilt the computer in a new case that is better equipped for temp management. Uninstalled drivers, reinstalalled drivers. Still. No luck.

Then I said, hey, what about the monitor itself? Sure enough, simply turning it off and on fixes the problem. Goes black again after same interval (not exact same, but same consistency), but I am at a loss of what to do. I have tested both HDMI and VGA and they both replicate the problem in the same time frame. I KNOW the computer is getting enough power since I have checked the voltage on the PSU when it arrived. I see no overheating, my MSI 970A mobo is running slightly warm at 68C, but that's nothing to be alarmed about (gpu only running 35-40C).

I have disabled sleep modes of all types, set the refresh at 60 and uninstalled the generic drivers from Viewsonic and am running on Windows 10 x64. I am picking up an old monitor today to test it out to further prove that it is the monitor and will update once tested. Do I conclude the monitor is faulty and return it or is there something else that I could do to 'fix' the issue?

I should add that I have absolutely no performance issues - no stuttering, no sound breaks, no downgrade of graphics quality and no sharp frame rate drops

narfman147

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
UPDATE: So I tried out an older monitor on my computer last night and saw no black screen problems. I am 99% sure that it was a DOA monitor, but does anyone know if there is anything else I should consider before concluding it's the monitor? The older monitor was smaller and maxes out at 1260x760 (Viewsonic was running at 1920x1080). Would that have any impact on whether or not the screen is failing?