Question Vintage CPUs

dberryco

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018
Short version: Why are old CPU's more expensive than more powerful new ones?

Long version. I was looking to upgrade an 8700K to a 9900K CPU to get a little boost for my old PC. I found the 9900KS (premium way back) selling for 400-500 bucks. This is higher than a budget motherboard and 12th gen INTEL which is faster and comes with many other improvements. I've decided to get a new system personally, but I'm curious if there is anything I'm missing about these old CPU's. I'm a moderate level computer geek and am not up to speed on individual processor quirks if any.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They don't make them anymore. Any CPUs you find new have been sitting on the shelf due to their high price.

They will eventually sell to people who don't know better, or who need a replacement or ugpraded CPU for a system they don't want to fully replace. They may even be paying someone to do the work for them just to avoid having to re-install an OS.

Fastest CPU in each generation tends to hold its value as well.

Yup, as stated above.

I'm about to retire my Intel x58 pc that's been running since the begining of 2009. Originally had a 920 in it but found a 960 way cheaper just a few years later. The ole' girl was a great gaming pc in the day, now about to become the MAME arcade back pc. Sniff, sniff....

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
There's also the idea that stores want to make up the cost to purchase the part to put up for sale (I'm under no impression manufacturers "rent" space and send stores the parts, they expect the stores to buy it at some wholesale rate and the store does whatever they want from there). So unless they're trying to get rid of inventory, they don't see leaving it at or near MSRP as a problem because eventually someone will buy it.