Review Viotek GNV34DBE Gaming Monitor Review: Ultra-Wide Value King

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I looked for a better place to post this but couldn't find one:

The Tom's Hardware website uses a lot of CPU in Firefox. I don't know why it doesn't in Chrome or Edge. The forums are fine also. But if I have the homepage or any article/review open in Firefox, it uses about 30% of my CPU just sitting there.

Reactions: Kridian
"HDR" at 350 nits? I don't think so. That doesn't even qualify as the not-really HDR 400 spec. This is NOT an HDR monitor folks.
I agree that could look a bit dull if was a TV but while 500+ nits would be ideal you are not going to get it at $450, many even more expensive ones are only 300-400 nits. This is bang for your buck and not top of the tree for sure.

SMcCandlish

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed this is not an HDR monitor. It's an "HDR-ready" or "HDR-compatible" monitor. I.e., it can accept and decode the 10-bit signal, but it's going to downsample it to 8-bit. And this is not news; this deceptive marketing ploy by manufacturers has been covered (and criticized, including from within the TV and monitor industry) for some time now: https://web.archive.org/web/2018061...nd-image/what-does-hdr-compatible-mean-461032

That said, the price is great for the feature set. I won't be getting this one myself, because a non-adjustable "chopsticks" stand will have to be replaced by a proper VESA one, which jacks the total cost up into the range of an at least marginally better monitor.

I bought this monitor to replace my triple screen set up. Much better picture visually, even without calibration. After calibration, this screen is one of the best I have owned out of dozens. I honestly don't mind the stand as on my black monitor riser I can barely see it anyway. My one gripe- my display port cable hangs from the input and there is nowhere to hide it. Ugh. Awesome purchase anyway. Oh, and I don't care about HDR, especially at this price.

Jul 27, 2021
I bought this monitor to replace my triple screen set up. Much better picture visually, even without calibration. After calibration, this screen is one of the best I have owned out of dozens. I honestly don't mind the stand as on my black monitor riser I can barely see it anyway. My one gripe- my display port cable hangs from the input and there is nowhere to hide it. Ugh. Awesome purchase anyway. Oh, and I don't care about HDR, especially at this price.
Just curious, what calibration settings did you use? In the article it says multiple times, we highly recommend using our calibration settings. But I'm unsure what those settings actually are? Besides the chart that shows settings for red, green, and blue, and brightness levels I don't see any additional settings for black levels, sharpness, etc. Did i miss somewhere in the article where it outlines all calibration settings? Thanks for your help!

I don't think they listed all of the settings. I adjusted the best I could according to my room lighting manually. If you are really worried about the color, I wouldn't, even before I adjusted it, I didn't see any issues at all, get a color meter.

If you are just gaming and watching content, adjust to your personal liking in your room. If you are a serious photo pro, you may want to spend more.

Reactions: HOSTILExAPOSTLE